Front Coils? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Front Coils?

Ok, seen this post on the full size board and thought i would post it here. what about getting rid of the torsion bars and using coils in the front? anyone thought of this? ever look at the front wheel drive cars and wonder why we can't do the same thing?

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Front Coils?

Look to see how much room you have in the a arm and look at how much room a coil over 2.5" or evin a 2.0" takes up.. With the CV shaft in there, no way.. The only way is to connect it to the top arm and it does not support weight and the shocks would be 10" out the hood.. Already wasted a few pads of paper on this one..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 02:03 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I have thought about it for a long while and it's like Troy said, there's no really good way to fit coils up front (with most A arm designs that are around)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You could go custom . You would have to build some reinforced shock towers, and the A arms would have to be designed with enough empty space inside them (between the main supports of them) to fit the coilovers. If you make the arms wide enough you'd have enough of a mounting surface to mount the coilovers and still avoid the CV shafts... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Seems like a lot of effort though. And while you're designing the a-arms wider, you might as well make them a few inches longer also (and some slightly longer CV shafts) for better suspension travel... Either way that project is going to be $pendy...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have been thinking about this as well. Ofcourse not as much as you guys. Well i was thinking that i could cast some new a-arms, longer, stronger and wider, and make new mountes for everything. Now about the longer cv shafts, where could i find those. Would they have to be custom. And while im in there i was thinking of a stronger axle, something with say 30 splines. I noticed they make 9 inch housings for toyota pickups and wonder with some custom work could you make it fit. That would be a strong front end the has the clearence of an ind. and the comfort. What do you guys think.

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2001, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK first off.. Do you know what caster, camber, and toe is and what it affects? Then kingpin inclination or unequal length a-arms the purpose of, Ackerman steering and it's effects.. About 4 years of complex geometry. If you don't know these then I would be very leery on starting this expensive project.. I don’t know this stuff and these are the problems I came across..
I have the basic design idea down and prices.. Starting with the arms I would not use CAST.. Upper arm would work but not the lower.. Too much stress.. Would have to be boxed or tubed and trussed or $$$ CC lathe $$$.. Go figure on price of these.. Shocks next and there are four different manufactures, Fox, SAW, And King.. Your talking about a 12" stroke with rez, dual rate COIL over (replace the t-bar design).. Hmmm about $600 EACH.. Fab new upper shock mount.. Next would be the axle.. NO way would I put this much money around a 7.2 GM axle.. I have seen Currie make a 9" solid for an XJ.. Hmmm make that about 6" shorter on each side and place 930 mounts on each end.. About $3000 for this.. Then I did find a place that deals in 930 CV joints and a complete kit would be about $400 no axle shafts.. Have to get custom axles @ ~$150 each.. Another weak link would be the spindles.. Ford make some good king pin ones on there older full-size with disk for around $400.. A new front drive shaft $300.. Now throw in the small bits and pieces like new rims, SS brake lines, welding rod, etc. , on and on.. Oh and the $4000 4 link kit for the rear (20" travel)..
Trust me I have thought about this for a while.. I would love to have the baddest S-10 in the world.. I do in my dreams.. But I came down to reality and bought a buggy instead.. Now I have a toy to brake, modify, work on instead of my everyday driving truck that gets me to work..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

I think we all have the baddest truck in our dreams.... Sometimes it is fun to throw out ideas and just see what others think of it. It gives you something to think about. Hey, it might inspire someone with the ca$h to go about the idea.... what about that race truck that was featured on the main page a few years ago, didn't that have coil springs?

Craig

'89 S-10 P/U 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

'88 Kawasaki Mojave (FOR SALE)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 01:23 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS"> Yup that race truck had coils up front. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] It also came equipped with a full tube frame with a roll cage integrated into that... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2001, 09:51 AM

Coils are always available to be made. It all costs MAJOR revenue, but it all depends on how happy you are to spend money. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think the only way to get that to work would be to set the coils either way ahead or way behind on the a-arm. The shocks sit pretty close to the front shafts, but just enough to stay out of harm's way.

If you are still interersted in spending the cash to do it, you might want to try some reputable fabrication shops. They can give you a better idea about what to do and how much it will cost.

I was going to do something like this on my ToYoTa, but I ended up buying the S-10!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode