BFG or ProComp - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 03:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

BFG or ProComp

I just want some opinions on what you guys think of the BFG m/t and the pro comp m/t other than price. I cant decide which one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 04:10 PM

Re: BFG or ProComp

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I know it's not one of the ones you mentioned (but very worthy of a write-in vote) but I recommend the Cooper Discoverer STT. Very similar to the BFG MT but about everybody I've known to have a set say the STT's last a bit longer and do just as well in the mud. I've never had either BFG or Procomp to compare them to either eachother or to the STT though... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 04:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i agree with sandman about the coopers. However i have a friend with the procomps and he hates them. They wear fast and have little bite in the mud. If you want a true mudding tyre then get super swappers. They rock! No question about them in the mud.

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i want swamps but how are they on the road? Hows the wear? i need to drive to work and school and such

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are going to be traveling on the road about as much as you are off-road, I'd go with the BFG's. I have the All-Terrain KO's right now and I'm very pleased with them for moderate off-roading. I'm definately going with the BFG Mud-Terrains as my next tire though. From what I've seen of the Coopers, they're just as good. It is more of a personal preference between those two. All the reports I've heard on the ProComps is that ProComp doesn't need to be making tires!

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

coopers look pretty good but where can i buy them WITH a set a rims on them?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 05:36 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Here's a link to Cooper Tire's dealer locator. You should be able to find one within a reasonable distance from where you're at.

http://www.coopertires.com/tire_coop...r_locator.html</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 11:11 AM

OK this might piss off some of the "Cooper fans"[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] (I will probably be hearing from TEX and Sandman)
Maybe they perform as well as the BFG MT's offroad ???
But they are not the same onroad.
I know this because I rode in a truck this past weekend that had Coopers, and they were way louder "UH?"
"I SAID WAY LOUDER" than BFG's MT.
Speaking solely for myself If I was willing to tolerate that much tire noise, I would skip the BFG's and the Coopers, and just go straight to the TSL Radial![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] it will outperform both the other brands offroad (and this is coming from a diehard BFG fan)
And I would pass on the procomp, and go with the BFG or Cooper or TSL Radial.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:18 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>I will agree that the Coopers are louder than the BFG MT's, but you have to compare apples to apples. A 50% worn Cooper will in fact be WAY louder than a new BFG. If they're both new or both worn, the difference isn't that far apart. One extra notch on the stereo at most [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

And to continue my crusade against the Uniroyal Laredo M/T - don't get those. They are in fact quieter than the Coopers, and they wear okayl, but they don't handle well at all on pavement. Very sloppy handling in the corners compared to the Coopers & BFG's.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2001, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Uniroyals suck-plain and simple, so do the Pro-Comps. I wonder who makes the pro-comps for them, Firestone? LOL! Cooper STTs are way cheaper than a comporable BFG, plus the rubber is of a harder compound for longer on-road life.
Sure they're noisy, they are TRUCK tires of an off-road nature! S/S's beat all of them for pure off-road hell though! Cooper's offer the best bang for the 80-90% on road crowd.
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode