Posi-trac?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Posi-trac??

Did the 4x4 S10 Blazers come with a stock posi-trac/limited slip? What is the difference between posi-trac and limited slip? Once upon a time I looked up what kind of gears I have in the rear diff. and if I remember right it was 3.73; if that makes a difference. I would like to get a locker in the rear diff. and I was wondering what ya'll thought was the best for the S series.
Thanks.

<font color=red>"Redneck" on the Internet
<font color=black>1989 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3, K&N, Flowmaster, 235/75/15 BFG AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 03:40 PM

Re: Posi-trac??

<font face="Comic Sans MS">A positrac used to be GM's phrase to refer to a limited slip differential. No, 4x4 S trucks did not come standard with a posi unit. One could be ordered as a factory option however. It was a smaller version of Eaton's Gov lock. I have one, it works pretty well. I've never lifted a tire so I'm not sure how it would work in that situation. I would prefer a regular locker.

For a locker the (main) ones for the S series the Detroit (full carrier locker), or the lockright (requires an open differential carrier to fit in, if you have the factory limited slip you have to purchase yourself an open differential carrier to use, so factor that into the cost if needed.). [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've had the Powertrax No-Slip for two days now and am very pleased with the results. The only downsides are that it is a little pricey at around $400 and not as strong as a full carrier replacement locker. However, since it is a drop in, it is a lot easier and quicker to install. The No-Slip is a newer version of the Lock-Right and is said to operate a little smoother and quieter. I've never ridden in a lock-right equipped vehicle, but I do know that my No-Slip is extremely smooth and quiet. I can only hear the faintest knock as it disengages when turning, and you would never hear it unless you were listening for it. Also, on the street I really can't tell its even there. I can still tear around corners without it chattering or chirping tires. When the unit does lock, it is very positive. You would have to be really hung up to get a tire to spin. Even though it is not a full carrier replacement, it is still a very strong locker. There was an article in Peterson's not to long ago on it, and they were also pleased with it. I'd recommend one to anyone who sees alot of street along with trails. I have exactly the same tire and gear setup as you do and am not worried about any breakage. I think some of the other lockers are a little bit of overkill for what you have. If you had large tires and a bigger engine it would be a different story. Let me know if you have any questions.

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The factory RPO code for Positraction limited slip is "G80". Look in your glovebox for the code.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Thanks

Thank ya'll for all the replies. I just looked at my codes and I had a G80. So I do have a posi-trac. I had my S10 twisted and one of the back tires almost off the ground and it was just spinning. Everything I tried couldn't get both or the one with more traction to spin. The powertrax no-slip looks pretty good for what I need so I will probably look more into that.
Where is a good place on the internet to look up what all those RPO codes mean? I used to use S10-4x4.COM, but it is not up and running right now.
Thanks for all the information.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sometimes you can "trick" a posi into hooking up the other tire when one has zero traction by partially applying the parking break.

"Ride it like you stole it!"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

check out http://members.nbci.com/gm_w_body/rpo.html Most of the RPO codes are there.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

I did try using that little trick with the parking break, and it usually works, but this time I had my S10 more twisted than I had ever had it before. It just wouldn't kick in.
I checked out the RPO code for my rear axle and it turns out I have 3.42 gear ratio. I guess I was just dreaming I had 3.73!
Thanks again for all the information.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 03:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have a factory locker in my blazer. i had the passanger left rear tire about 2 foot off the ground before i put her in reverse. i backed out of the hole without spinning a tire. they cost like $200 from a G.M. dealer around here.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2001, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Texas Redneck, it sounds like your posi unit has burned up its clutches. I also reccomend the Lock-Right. Its at LEAST as strong as your 7.625" ring gear is!
You'd liekly twist an axle before you'd break a Lock-Right! Now the ZR-2s are a different story, as they have the fullsize rear axle. All you need to install the Lock-Right is an open 3 series carrier to replace your posi one.
Good Luck.
A.S.

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode