Muffler system - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Muffler system

Right now I have a stock exhaust, I was wondering what kind of performance boost can I see with a Flowmaster or that caliber system. It' will be on a 97 blazer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 08:07 AM

Re: Muffler system

You will notice very little performance gains until you get rid of all the bottlenecks.

If you want the most power, save on the Flowmaster until you can get one with at least a 2.5" inlet and outlet. Get new tubing put on same diameter.

Get a high flow catalytic converter, and get some new headers that fit the 2.5" opening.

This will maximize your exhaust output. Another good idea is to get a good intake assembly, like the K&N filtercharger, to maximize airflow through both ends of the engine.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aren't the 4x4's 2.5" exaust alredy.

1995 truck, 4X4,4.3/V6/TBI, 31's, A.R. Rims, 3" Body, Side Bars, Flares, K&N, TB/Shackel lift, Alarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

I have the k&n airaid already, I figgured with good airflow front and back i should be able to pull off a few more HP. What are some of the better brands that sound good

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 12:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flow muffler installed on my 97 4WD Blazer. Before I installed it with the stock muffler, I was getting 16 MPG, after installing the Flowmaster it dropped to about 12 MPG. I believe factory exhaust line for my Blazer is 2.5". The stock muffler was 2.5" in and 2" out. When I had the Flowmaster installed I went with 2.5" in and 2.5" out.

I thought I'd give you a heads up on this. I'm almost positive the problem is that the PCM and sensors are not accepting the change. I have tried many other things as well, email me if you'd like more info.

-Pete

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 02:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you try disconecting the battery to reset the computer, so it can "learn" agian? Thisw might help -= it works with my car..

Should also check the trouble codes while ur at it- incase something else could be wrong.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tried this a couple of times already. I started from a complete "cold start." I disconnected the battery and left it off overnight and still no change. I really was hoping this would work too. I have my own scanner tool and there are no trouble codes or even pending codes and all sensors are working correctly. I figured the culprit was the O2 sensors, however, I've had all of them checked out and there also working properly. There is black carbon build up on the exhaust tip which almost proves that too much gas is being sent into the mixture.
Thanks for your reply
-Pete

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, one thin too remember when your dealing with the GM comptures is that they can take up too two weeks to relearn, once the power has been cut. You may not notice the learning curve as much later on but it is still learning.. I have been talking with the tech dept at JBA headers, and the test's that they have run on the variuos 4.3's have resulted very little difference in duals to singular exhaust the single exhaust has actuallt proven to be better for the 4.3 the problem people run into is what they call over evacuating the motor this means your getting to much out.. bad for performance.. The other thing they said was that they tried different Y-pipes etc and the only HP gain from another Y-pipe came when they schrunk it down to something like and inch and 7/8. I run a 1992 GMC Jimmy, 4.3 bored .30 ever 10.5- 1 pistons, head work intake work roller rockers. I have the factory pipe from the manifold top the rea with the exception of a high flow muffler. These sytems have been tested by JBA and proved to be the best in power gain. Their headers flow 30% more then stock enough to gain power but not too much to kill it. I think you might have over did it just my 2 cents worth good luck.

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I tried the cold start over a month ago and see not even the slightest change. You may be right about the over evacuating the motor. However, I have spoken with the techs at Flowmaster and they are the guys who recommended the Series 50 Delta Flow muffler for my Blazer because they had done tests on 4.3L s-10 and this muffler performed best. I would think that better flow IN and OUT would make things better for the engine and it probably does....now I just have to convince the PCM of that.
Thanks
-Pete

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure what else to tell you about the computer, however you really have not increased the amount of airflow through your engine unless I missed something in your info, you have the K&N filter system right but factory manifold and cam etc? The problem is that you are still only flowing factory spec's once you get in the intake, but you are taking way more out make sense? I'll try to post the number for the JBA tech line if I remember to write it down.... I'm not sure but I think most would agree that ifthe problem started after you installed the muffler system, then that is the problem you know what I mean? Good luck

If it has tits or tires it will give you trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode