FYI-Front gears - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FYI-Front gears

Just FYI, if anyone's interested, this happened to me last year. I just bought my blazer and about 2 weeks later I started hearing a creaking noise from the front end. I thought it was my brakes or something but one day I figured it out. The top mount on my front differential had broken off. So what, right? Well, the creaking noise was made as the gear box pivoted down on it's lower mount. The result was (how I discovered it) that the inside end of the driver side tie rod butted up against the gear box, and I could only make a very very very wide right turn. I was pulling out of my driveway, and I ended up in the neighbors lawn. Anybodu else had this happen?

"But Officer, I was only trying to gain enough speed to get over that hill up ahead."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: FYI-Front gears

i have this same sound coming from the front end. But have checked everything and can find no reason for this sound. I have no problem with steering and have brand new shocks and wheel bearings. Can you guys think of anything.

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: FYI-Front gears

I don't want to ring the alarm bell, but if I were you, I'd take a good look at the top mount, feel for any cracks or spaces. If I remember correctly, mine broke about 1/2" to an inch down from the bottom of the bushing. I now have a 1/4" steel bar running along the bottom of the gears in case it happens again. Once it happens, it pretty much totally takes out the movement of the tie rod. The noise was only noticable when I hit the brakes and lasted only a second, and I didn't hear it until the day it dropped(several times that day), so if your truck's been doing it for a while, it's probably something else. I'd get your front end checked out just to be safe.

"But Officer, I was only trying to gain enough speed to get over that hill up ahead."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode