How do i convert to V8? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do i convert to V8?

I plan to convert my '88 S-10 from the 2.5L 4cylinder to a 350 V8. Will the 5 speed tranny and bellhousing I have bolt up? If not, what do i need to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2001, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How do i convert to V8?

The only advice I can give is to check out this web site, "http://www.jagsthatrun.com/". It's a good source which is worth a read. You'll know what I mean when you read it. I believe they provide a cross reference for motors vs. transmissions, but you will have to buy their manual for all the details. Good luck.

"But Officer, I was only trying to gain enough speed to get over that hill up ahead."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dude

your trans will not bolt up to a small-block Chevy - you have to change almost the whole drivetrain

its an expensive proposition and i wish you all the luck with it - i may still do it myself - i want to create the Blazer version of Bad Bowtie one day

get the manual from www.jagsthatrun.com and wwwadvancedadapters.com
advanced adapters sells all the parts required to do the job - my advice is to get all the parts then start - the manual will tell you everytthing you need know

once again good luck and let us know how it goes

Richard

85 S-10 3.4L cat-back exhaust,
3/10/01 - added Pioneer CD player, RF X400.4 amp, 2 RF 12 inch subs, 2 RF 6x9s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 01:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Look to see if the tranny/bellhousing is one unit. If not go to the bone yard and get a bellhousing from an '88 or newer full size with a V8. The Borg Warner T's will, not only bolt right up to that bellhousing but, handle an engine with up to 300ft/lbs of torque. I put a 283 into my '83 with the original 4 speed. I am going to upgrade to a 5 speed shortly. You will have to get a clutch kit for (I think it was) an Astro van. The splines were the same and the size of the friction disk was, very close to if not, the same. Advanced Adapters is very spendy. If you have the $$$ or do not have the resourses or the time go for it!

Good luck, let us know how it turns out

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 11:35 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The version of the Borg Warner tranny we get (non world class T5), just barely seems able to handle my 2.8L (time for a new tranny for me, or a scrap yard one)... Now the world class version they put in the Phords may be able to stand up to a V8 alright. Personally if I was swapping a V8 in I wouldn't waste time with anything weak like the non wc T5's... NV4500 or SM465 (or an auto)... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 01:11 PM
Addict

Hey, I'm doing a conversion too. If you read my posts, you'll know I know my stuff. Get the Jags That Run book from Summit, like I just did. It's a wealth of info. Also, if you need help, let me know and I will try to help. And I have a complete S-10 with a tranny you need and a rearend with a Auburn in it too. I can part out some of it to you. Do as I did. Buy the book, do the research, save your money, and take your time. Read all my posts. I'm one of the top dogs on here on a lot of things. I bought the Super 10 truck from the S-10 4x4 site last week and went to Michigan to get it. It's a 350 4 bolt main. I'm going to build that frame with a Dana 44 and 9" and reinstall the V8 after going through it and then switch my body from my frame. Then I'll have a complete IFS chassis with a 700R4 and 3.42 gears and Auburn in the rear. The whole THING will be for sale. Take your time, please. It will save you a SHI* load of money, trust me. I have been to the Bad-Bowtie's house recently and know it all dude. My phone number is 337-406-1712 and a lot of guys from this site call me. Also my e-mail addy is [email protected].

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode