2.8 to at least a 4.3 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.8 to at least a 4.3

I have a 1984 S-10 blazer I just bought. It has a blown 2.8L motor in it and I have been asking people if I could put at least a 4.3 in it. Most people I have asked said no. My cousin works on cars and he said the biggest I could put in it was a 3.1 Chevy made awhile back. I was wondering if there is any way to fit at least a 4.3 or 350 in it. I've had some people tell me I could if I cut the fenders. Please help I don't want to have to buy a 2.8.

Ryne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 01:11 PM

Re: 2.8 to at least a 4.3

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Oh, it'll fit. You'll have to modify the motor mounts I believe, as well as definitely change transmissions (perhaps find one with an adapter to the transfer case you have or a different t-case)... But it's certainly do-able... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Check out http://www.advanceadapters.com for some ideas on pricing of their stuff. Their stuff can usually be had for less if you don't buy directly from them... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 85 S-10 4x4 that also had a blown 2.8L - i did research before buying anything and i found that GM Performance makes a 3.4L - its 160 HP (nice boost from that anemic 2.8)

with the dealer install and the price of the motor and extra parts (the 3.4 is really for 2wd S-10s) i paid 4000.00 and about a week in time

4.3L and 350s seem to be more of a pain in the @$$ and way more expensive cause you have to change the tranny and transfer case as Sandman said.

Since I dont know your financial situation I'd still say the 3.4L may still be your best bet - or you can go to a boneyard and find a 3.4L out of an older Camaro or Firebird

Good luck and let us know

Richard

85 S-10 3.4L cat-back exhaust otherwise stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-08-2001, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

85_S10_3_4L----> What year camaro did the 3.4 come in it. My cousin works at Perry Chevrolet and he could fix it up for me fairly cheap.

Ryne
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2001, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the one i got was a crate motor especially for s-10s and s-10 Blazers

he could prolly still get you a deal on it tho

Richard

85 S-10 3.4L cat-back exhaust otherwise stock for now
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 3.4 is in the '93 through '95 Camaros and Firebirds. I picked on up complete, shipped, and about 30,000 out of a '95 for $600.00. I am converting mine from the carb 2.8 to the multipoint fuel injected and disributerless ignition on the 3.4. Good luck on finding a motor! I am almost done with my conversion. I cant wait! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:41 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Are you going to do a writeup on it? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I plan to do a write up as soon as I am finished with it. There are a few things to watch out for when using the full system out of the camero. It has been an interesting project so far. I can't wait to feel the new power! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I am hoping to finish in the next week or two, but first things first I am going to Seattle this weekend. After I get back I am going to use the rest of vacation to finish the project!

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Advance Adapters as someone has suggested is the way to go..I have an 87 converted froma 2.8 to a 350..A 4.3 can be done too. As for others contact advance adapters or go to their web page . www.advncedadapters.com I think? Anyway some things to note wether youre going to a 4.3 or vv8...You'll need to swap out the tranny either to a 700 r4, 350 or 400 tranny. The kit supplies every thing.I got an aluminum rad. tranny adapter,oil filter relocation kit,motor mounts, slick fit headers etc..You dont need to cut fenders.The kit says you may have to pound firewall.I found a 2 inch body lift kit gave me enough clearance.I doubt I needed it though. Its alot of work but worth it! Buy the kit. Costly yes but again worht it! Once it's done everything fits nicely and looks stock believe it or not. If I could help more email me.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2001, 01:20 AM
jeeper131

so how hard was swapping in the 3.4? I have a 93 with the 2.8 with TBI, and I'm kinda interested in this swap. I don't have gobs of time and money though, so it would have to be a pretty straight up job for me to be able to do it

MudFlap
93 S-10 in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode