well crap... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well crap...

darned truck died on me - went to the local gas station and sputter died

im figuring its either the coil or the carb - coil wasnt replaced with the engine and the carb needed to be rebuilt and i was gonna get to it soon

well i guess im getting to it sooner than later - im gonna put a high energy coil and get the carb rebuilt

i also ordered the 3 inch body lift kit from TM for it and next is the 5 inch suspension lift - im gonna have the baddest S-10 in TN

Richard

85 S-10 3.4L cat-back exhaust otherwise stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 01:37 AM

Re: well crap...

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Get an inductive timing light. Clamp the inductive lead onto any spark plug wire or the coil wire (secondary wire, not the primaries), hook the power cables up, and have someone crank the engine while you press the trigger on the timing light. If it flashes then you're getting spark and the coil isn't your problem.

When was the last time you checked the fuel filter? Is the fuel pump operating? Pull the fuel line at a good point and see if it's flowing enough. Did the truck flood out?

Check the condition of the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. The rotor might be burned through causing the spark energy to go right to ground.

Another very real possibility, especially if the spark shorted to ground through the rotor or similar path, is the ignition module. If you're not getting spark, you should have the module tested, some parts stores can do that (or it wouldn't be too expensive (about $10 or $15) to procure a new module to try it out. If you find that your old module was ok, toss that one back in and keep the new one in the glovebox for a spare... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 12:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: well crap...

well the shop is gonna do all that about the coil

fuel filter was replaced with the motor - its frame mounted instead of the stock location

the distributor and all is new except the coil - like i said the shop will see to all that

all comes with buying an older truck

Richard

85 S-10 3.4L cat-back exhaust otherwise stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode