89 s-10 dash into 85 s-10 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 s-10 dash into 85 s-10

i was wondering if any one has done this swap? the actual dash will bolt in just fine but I was wondering about the guage package. I know I will have to do a little rewiring, I would like to know if the speedometer, oil, water, ameter and fuel guages will work with my vehicle (hate to give up my tachometer but that's the way it goes)? What about the vehicle speed sensor (in the guage panel)? It just looks like an optical pickup to me. The light switchs and heater controls are a no brainer for me (just a little work with a multimeter and soldering iron). My biggest concern is the guages.
thanks for any input
bj

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 07:25 PM
Addict

Re: 89 s-10 dash into 85 s-10

I did this swap to mine but changed the whole wiring harness and fuse box from the Donor vehicle, computer and all. I now have the tilt, cruise and air. If you just want to do a swap I would contact Painless wiring comany to get it right.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2001, 07:25 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I'm wondering what the motivation behind wanting to swap the dashes is... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Also wondering if you can take some pictures as you do that and do a writeup for us... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] This is one I haven't heard of before, so I'm guessing you'll be among the first to have done this... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 02:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Success!!!
I got the newer dash panel guages to work with my original wiring harness!
here's what I did:
take the old panel and trace out all the connections on the printed circuit board, record which guage/light uses which connection (the connector plug has all the wires numbered on the plug)
trace the circuits out on the new instrument panel (numbered too)
record your findings
match up the apropriate wires/numbers to the guages/lights required (some items will double over, this is alright it will still work)
use jumper wires to test for the right connections before you change things around permanently (it's always too easy to mix up those printed circuits when tracing them out).
the connector plug comes apart so you can "reprogram" the plug to send the wires to the right connections. Oh yeah, use tape and number the wires before you take the plug apart, if you don't I guarantee you'll mix them up and then you're really screwed!
now my 85 has an 89 dash. Oh yeah, for those who wonder why I bothered, I changed it because I think the newer dash looks better than the 85 (changed door panels as well).
All I have to do now is hook up the headlight panel and the heater controls(piece of cake!). I had to find a heater control panel and cables out of a non air condioned truck.
So now I have the dash I want (even managed to hook up the side window defrost vents, the heater plenum box even has the outline where to cut for the air feed) and it all looks factory because there are no cut or spliced wires, just GM parts.
Don't get me wrong though, this wasn't easy, it took an entire sunday to work out the electrics and I'm still not done, but if you want to, it can be done.
Just a note:my truck is an 85 s-10 4x4 2.5l auto no air with the full guage package, the donor truck was an 89 s-15 jimmy 4x4 2.8l auto with air conditioning. your aplication may involve some additional problems besides the rewiring of the plugs.
later compadre's
BJ

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-12-2001, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ain't GM's cool? You could never do that swap with a Ford, even if it was the same year I bet! I've got soo many GM car parts on my trucks I stopped counting!
A.Smith

1989 GMC S-15 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings For Sale
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode