AutoTrac question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AutoTrac question

I have a 1997 Jimmy with the AutoTrac option. I was wondering if anyone knew its off-road capabilities against a push-button 4wd system. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 12:50 PM

Re: AutoTrac question

<font face="Comic Sans MS">In my humble opinion both (assuming both use some sort of electric setup) are junk compared to the good old lever sticking up through the floor, maybe a twinstick setup and a mechanical link to activate the front differential...

Other than that I'm wondering more about the autotrack and what it's supposed to do...</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 01:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It detects rear wheel slippage and kicks the front wheels into action. I have heard that it does not produce the torque needed for serious off-roading, I was just wondering opinions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 01:33 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">So if I understand it right the user has no control over an autotrack at all? Does it have a low range? If not then I'm sorry to say it's about worthless in a lot of off road situations. The best way to find out if it'll handle what you want it to though is to take it out a few times and try to get stuck so you'll have a definite knowledge of what it can and can't do... Make sure you have good tow points front and back (a good idea for everybody) and don't go 'wheelin alone... What type of off roading would you be doing with it? Also what do you consider serious off roading?</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
(I'm finally back)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 04:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, the user does not have any control - the computer does. There is no low-range 4WD on it. I will be doing mostly trail riding with my Jimmy, no rock climbing or water - just having fun. I was told by others that the autotrac does not put out the low-range torque needed for "serious off-roading" they called it (I guess rock climbing and the like). It handles like a dream on icy roads and in the snow. I have had it in the shallow mud a couple times, and it performed well. I bought the vehicle thinking it was true 4x4, but now know that it is not. I guess that trial and error are my best bets. I have 275/75/15 A/T's on it now and would getting 31x10.5 A/T's help my manuvering in the mud? Thanks for any additional input.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 08:15 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">That truck can't really do rock crawling in it's stock form anyhow (due to the IFS), so you should still be ok with autotrack.

To improve handling in mud, your best bet would be going to some M/T style tires, such as the Cooper STT's... AT style tires can't hold a candle to the MT style in the mud... AT's don't have the ability to clear mud out of the treads without spinning them very fast. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
(I'm finally back)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 10:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, in essence its an All Wheel Drive SUV, then. I would think that a change of tire size that dramatic would render the Auto-Trac all but useless as its likely calibrated for LT235/75R15s. I would suggest a good all-around tire for this multi-purpose vehicle with an emphasis on the street side of the tread design. Like a Pirelli Scorpion, Dunlop Rover A/T, etc. Don't worry, I thought the Olds Bravadas were cool till I saw there "Smart-Trac" viscous coupling AWD crap, not for me! I've got a manual transfer case and a Posi-Lock system on my truck.
A.Smith

1989 S-10 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings
1989 Blazer 4x4 4.3L/700R-4 3.42s,235 Sport Tracks
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode