rear suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rear suspension

I was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of re-arching the leaf springs in the rear. I have a 1997 Jimmy and want to lift the rear 1"-2", any opinions on this mehtod of lift?Also, I have heard rear "block" lifts degraded on this site - I was just wondering why. Once I lift the rear up 1 or 2 in, do I have to get new shocks? Could I lift up the back by putting adjustable air shocks on? Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 03:18 PM

Re: rear suspension

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Typically, it would seem that rearches don't hold that increased arch very long.

Blocks have a bad rap here because they can cause axle wrap by increasing the leverage on the springs.

Don't ever try to get lift by using air shocks or other items. The shock mounts were never designed for that task, only for the shocks which don't support any of the vehicle's weight.

</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Springs have a memory. The springs are treated so that the top layer of the leafs are actually in compression so they retain their shape when flexed. Re-arced springs gennerally do not hold their shape long.

The S-10 springs are very soft making them prone to axle wrap. BTW, blocks would LOWER the rear since it's a spring under axle set-up. You are basically left with 3 choises. New springs, stock or aftermarket ($$). Add-a-leafs (make the springs stiffer). And shackles.

Shocks and shock mounts are designed to dampen ride motion, not raise a vehicle. Avoid air shocks.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking about just getting new leaf packs with more arch. Because i have shackles and add-a-leafs but new springs i think would be better. O and i was looking at a dodge ram and o my god it was hilarious those things are garbage and they use lift blocks in the back from the factory. That is garbage haha.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2001, 05:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, it looks like add-a-leafs for me. Shackles might bend when I am pulling my 21 ft Sea Ray. I have also heard that they will flatten out your springs. Anyone know how much add-a-leafs or new springs cost (I am looking for 1-2" lift). Thanks again.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 11:14 AM

Add-a-leaves should be pretty cheap compared to other things. I have a pair of 2" add-a-leaves and I believe they costed around $90 from Rancho. I think you can get them cheaper from other places--you just have to look around.

<font color=red>"Redneck" on the Internet
<font color=black>1989 S10 Blazer 4x4, 4.3, K&N, Flowmaster, 235/75/15 BFG AT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode