ZR2 Blazer Tow hitch ??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Addict

ZR2 Blazer Tow hitch ???

I have a 99 ZR2 Blazer and from the factory it said no towing options available. Not for the regular 2 dr though. Has anyone ever put a hitch on their 2 door late model Blazers? I figure the only reason could be because of the tire mounted on the back of the body. I know the driveline and suspension will handle it. Please reply quickly if you know someone that has. I may be trying to tow something in the next month.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ZR2 Blazer Tow hitch ???

I don't see why a ZR2 Blazer would be any different than a ZR2 S-10 or Sonoma. I think the back of the truck (under the bed) is the same as a ZR2 pickup. I have just barely enough room under the bed of my ZR2 Sonoma to fit a 32x10.50xR15 M/T spare between the rear axle and trailer hitch cross bar. I think my receiver is made by Tow-Champ, a division of Reese or some other reputable hitch manufacturer. It's a Class 5 (?) hitch, the heavier duty of the setups that take a 2" insert. I only paid $100 for my hitch, but I think I got a deal as the guy had a bunch of the receivers and I paid cash.

Is your Blazer a 4-door? If so, they may not have offered the towing package because of some stupid reason like it being considered a 'passenger hauling' vehicle and not a tow vehicle. I think this is why a lot of truck equipment dealers won't install a snow plow on a Blazer, Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, etc. I think I even heard one time that they hassle some people about putting plows onto extended cab trucks!

Anyways, you should be able to find something aftermarket for your truck. I'd check out a place that sells Reese hitches and they should be able to hook you up with what you need.

<font color=blue>Daddy always said that a Phord is about as useful as a shovel with a rope handle.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2001, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the reply but I guess you have never really looked at a 2dr ZR2 Blazer. They are nothing like a pickup or 4dr in the rear. They have the spare tire mounted on the rear on th tailgate and the gas rank is under the rear behind the bumper. I have an 89 S-10 pickup with a hitch under the bed around the spare like you are talking about. I guess I'll hit the books and see what I can find for my application. If Ryan or any of you other guys with 2dr's have looked into a hitch please let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to a U-Haul and see if they reference one or if they have one in stock that you can check to see if it fits. I am sure there is one made out on the market. Pep boys, JCWitney, etc. You should be able to find one if you don't rely in the dealer to lead you to one.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well i have a blazer hitch on my S-10 it was a four door i think. I had to modify the holes a little but it fits. I found it in a junk yard and got it for free.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2001, 01:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Didn't think that was where they decided to put the gas. My bad. I'm use to pickup trucks, like the "exploding Chevy's" as they were once dubbed by Dateline a few years back, with the tank outside the frame rail ahead of the axle.

Thinking back, by `82 K-5 Blazer had the tank back behind the rear axle too, but I had more room for the hitch in that truck as it was a full-size.

<font color=blue>Daddy always said that a Phord is about as useful as a shovel with a rope handle.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for all the help guys. I found one at JC Whitney, but now my concerns are Gross Vehicle weight and whether or not I can do it at all. What I was looking at was trying to tow another S-10 home I was going to buy. But around 1200 miles too. The gross weight it says I can tow is 5000 lbs. I know the truck will be around 4000 because my blazer weighs 4000. That only leaves me another 1000 for the trailor. And then the problem of brakes. My 4WD discs won't stop that either. I'm going to have to go to U haul or somewhere like you said and get the poop on this one. I guess I need an electric setup or something for the trailor brakes to work. But what about just using a tow bar on the towed truck? Help!!!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2001, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what i sugest is get a tow dolly, disconnect the driveshaft and go fron there... i've done it with a 91s-10 pickup(from around chi town to st louis and back) and i was good to go... but theres one problem... u haul won't let you tow a empty dolly, see if theres a rental agency(privatally owned) that will help you out. 1 tip, to get the truck on there real tight air down the front tires about 15 psi, strap them in and then air them back up... the truck won't go anywere!!!!

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks. You towed an S-10 with an S-10 on a tow dolly? And what about the stopping power? Did you have any problems there?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 12:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An S-10 is a very small load. I would not flat tow it, but a dolly should be fine. Your brakes will stop you, just make sure that you give yourself enough room to stop.

Nich Kenny
'89 K1500 350/700r4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode