Grinding transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 06:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grinding transfer case

While I'm driving my transfer case starts to grind and it seems that my transmission stops, the more gas I give the louder the grinding gets. Sometimes it stops and other times I have to pull over put my truck into 4 high then back into 2 high and sometimes when that does not work I have to shut my truck off (make sure it's in 2) and then start the truck again I don't like this especially when I'm doing 100kmh on the freeway.Oh by the way on top of this crap my water pump let go today %$#@@$!!!!!!. Any ideas for this guys?

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 12:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Grinding transfer case

are you absoutly shure its your transfer case???,,, I had that happen to me just befpre my front diff stopped working..... i'd check your fluid(front diff and t case) for metal shavings... Also check for proper fluid level,,, my friends t case was making a lot of noise because he diddn't have enough fluid in it.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It seems to me that it is the transfer case because that is where the noise is coming from, and also when the grinding happens the shifter for the 4x4 has a vibration in it. Is there any way to test this out to see if it is the front end, besides just checking the fluid level? Tonight when I'm home I'll check for fluid and metal shavings, but is there a way to adjust the transfer case to "set it" back into 2 high because it seems that it is just not properly engaged into 2 high (maybe on the shifter itself) I do know that there is a switch of some sort under the plastic where the 4x4 indicater lights are, but are those just for the lights? I was under the impression that the shifter contacts a part of that, and that tells the vacume to activate and then the 4x4 comes on. I may be wrong but like I said I was under the impression thats the way it worked. (I'm no mechanic haha)

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2001, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That happens to my S-10, although only when I use 4LO and hit neutral on the way back to 2HI. There's a procedure to adjust the transfer case shift lever. If I remember correctly you remove the console and theres a rubber boot and a grease zerk fitting on the Xcase shifter, then theres also a bolt with a nut on the end of it. This bolt is what adjusts the linkage. I think you put it into 4Hi and adjust it, then tighten the bolt. I did this to try and fix my 4WD when I bought mine in '98(turned out to be the actautor cable!). Also a good time to replace the vacuum switch before it craps out(which it will at the worst possible moment!)The grinding shouldn't be happening in anything but going from N to a position, as the rest have synchronizers to keep from grinding. You are shifting in a swift, precise motion right? Good luck.
A.Smith

1989 S-10 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings
1989 Blazer 4x4 4.3L/700R-4 3.42s,235 Sport Tracks
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 10:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Right on I'll give her a try tonight when I get home if it ain't too cold out yesterday with the wind it was 53 below zero. (Welcome to Canada "EH")

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

theres 1 other way to check if its your frot end... jack up your truck so all four wheels are off the ground and block it up(jackstands, lumber, your sis anything thats stable) then have a friend get in and start it up... put it in 4 hi and see if the front wheeles turn. if they dont, check the front driveshaft, is it spinnig? try to grab it to stop it from turning.. if you can its the t case. if you purchase a haneys tech manual(15.00 at auto zone) it tells you exactly what to do.. You are accuallly going to need a 5/16 drillbit to properley adujust the linkage... Its really easy/

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2001, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WHAT PAGE????

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 01:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

its on page 7C-2.

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2001, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THANKS A LOT THERE GUTS I'M HEADING OVER TO A BUDDYS GARAGE I'LL LET YOU GUYS KNOW HOW I MADE OUT.

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode