97 Blazer Lift Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

97 Blazer Lift Questions

I own a 97 Blazer and looking for a quick way to get stability and clearance. Right now I have BFG 31x10.5x15 on and they rub on the upstroke. I was thinking about a 2 in body lift and some wheel spacers to put the tires out a little. Will this work and what would be the cost? Or is there a cheeper solution? maybe a suspension lift? Anyhelp would be appreciated.
Berg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 97 Blazer Lift Questions

One or two inches of suspension lift can be easily had... http://s10-4x4.com/EasyLift/

Or you could do the body lift. Don't get spacers unless you go up quite a bit cause they will only worsen the rubbing.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 06:52 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I think the gains in stability that you might gain that way would be negated by the additional lift. Body lift would seem to keep it more stable than a suspension lift. I justify that statement as follows.

When you raise only the body yet keep the engine, transmission, transfer case, frame the same height, your center of gravity stays lower. Meaning you have a higher stability than you would otherwise.

When you raise everything (done by suspension lift), your center of gravity goes relatively higher, thus making it potentially more tippy, or less stable.

I don't have any numbers figured out to determine exactly how it would be affected, but there is a definite measurable (even if it's not too horribly large) difference.

Body lift would be about $100 or there abouts for parts cost and suspension, probably expect to spend at least $1000 for parts.

I think that with the body lift and spacers, or even suspension lift and spacers you'd still rub on the upstroke.

The only way to gain clearance with a bodylift is that you can add bigger tires. With a suspension lift, you gain clearance in some areas (frame for example), however usually you keep about the same clearance in the front IFS area since they might use drop bracketry to lower the IFS chunk to save the CV's.

Just my $0.02</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so far this is what I got. For me a major suspension lift is out for the cost of it. I would like to do that 2 inch lift with the torsion bars but then I get more height and no more width plus the tires would still rub. Is there anyway that I could see if a 2 inch lift would stop the tires from rubbing? Also the tires I have now only rub a little bit on the top inside of the fender when I hit large bumps with speed. I think that 2 inches would create enough gap so that the tires, even if they had spacers, to miss the fender. What do you think? Still thinking about my options now. What does it cost to get gearing changed?
thanks

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 08:06 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">You could always modify the fenders, maybe some cutout flares, as well as modifying the inner fenders. Wheel spacers or more backspacing can increase the leverage on the ball joints and other components like the wheel bearing. That is not a particularly good thing either.

To get the rear gearing changed, it would have cost me about $400 or a little more. Then you also have to have the front done and there'd be a lot of labor on that, unless you would pull the front differential yourself (which takes a considerable amount of time and effort) and putting it back in afterwards. So probably looking at over $1000 if you have a shop do it. And assuming you reuse your stock carriers. If you're planning to add a full carrier locker in the back, now would be the time to do it (when having gears setup). What's your current gear ratio? Can't go higher than 4.10 in the front. You could go up to 4.56 I've heard but then you'd have mismatched gears which wouldn't be a good thing. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

forget the gear thing that sounds like to much work. How many inches on a wheel spacer is too much I was thinking about 1 to 2 inches and 2+ on the rear to even it out. The 2 inch body lift seems like a done deal but I'll keep looking into it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With the 2 inches however you get it (body lift, torsion crank) 31's will rub on anything but stock wheels and even with them sometimes. You could go with a 15x7 neutral backspacing but I'm pretty sure you would tear some fender up with only two inches of lift. Now with 2 inches crank and 2 inches body you could probably pull it off. Cut out flares are not available for the newer body style blazers. You can get extend-a-flairs from warn or bushwacker but they don't help clearance in the wheelwell.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Damn are u sure? Is there anyway to release the ifs and lift it up and down the full range of motion to see how much i realy need? This sucks. Ok, i'm stuck, does anyone have anymore ideas?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To Follow Up on Berg84's questions on body lift and wheel rubbing...Will I have the same rubbing problem with my 96 Blazer (4WD) if I add 31x10.5x15 tires on STOCK RIMS and a 2" Body Lift? If I will, this might drive me to go with 30" tires instead. Please advice. I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what do you mean by "upstroke" in "rubbing in the upstroke...."

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:58 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">"upstroke" refers to the suspension cycling in the upward direction (compressing). Basically when the wheel travels up into the wheelhouse... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode