Recommend Rear Brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Recommend Rear Brakes

It is time to have the rear brakes replaced. Any recommendations for a good set of performance pads?
Does $500 for parts (a PA 2" lift kit) and labor sound good for a body lift?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:18 PM

Re: Recommend Rear Brakes

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Not sure about the brake question, but I don't think you need to pay for labor for the bodylift. It's not too hard to do if you have a floor jack and a free weekend (just to be sure you'll have time to take your time and work through it so you don't forget anything).

Even if you don't have a floor jack, I'd recommend just getting one, if at all possible rather than paying someone to do it. That tends to be how I justify buying tools on a project, look at what the tools will cost and if it's still less than the cost of labor (or if it's something i have to use periodically) then I'll choose the tools over paying someone for it.

Sorry for the rambling.
</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

$500 OUCH!!! Think it this way.. Bodylift is around $100.. Jar of Vaseline is $5 or so right? So they are reaming you $395.. I agree with the Sandman, get a $100 3 ton jack, $30 jack stands, a keg of beer and save the $200 for other tools or a down on an air tank!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Tell your friends you got a keg and when they get there tell them they need to help install to drink..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep! Weazles' right! That's a reaming for any install on a body lift! I could see on a Suburban or something HUGE like that maybe! You can always lure your unsuspecting friends over for pizza&beer, then hand them a tool when they get there! Works every time! There's always a need for a good floor jack & jackstands! As for the brakepads, I always use either Performance Friction or those "quiet stop" ones from Raybestos. Usually the higher priced ones-to a degree are better. ACDelco also offers Durastop pads and HP rotors for S-10s. Don't know about pricing though. I plan on doing a SSB rear disc conversion on my S-10 soon, the 9" drums don't cut it! Not to bad for $500 either. Good luck.
A.Smith

1989 S-10 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings
1989 Blazer 4x4 4.3L/700R-4 3.42s,235 Sport Tracks
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode