ZR2 lift and fender flares - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ZR2 lift and fender flares

I have two questions, the first of which is something I have been wondering for awhile. I would like to know exactly what type and how much lift a stock ZR2 comes with. My second question is whether anyone knows if stock fender flares from a 1995 ZR2 Pickup will fit on my 1995 Blazer which was made before ZR2 Blazers were available. Thank You :-)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-337039-Mvc-007f.jpg (97.2 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ZR2 lift and fender flares

ZR2's sit 3 inches higher and just under 4 inches wider than a regular s-10. Here is a link to a ? I asked that might help out about the flairs.... http://s10-4x4.com/ubbs/Forum36/HTML/000021.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 01:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll begin by saying NICE BLAZER [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]!

A ZR2 has 3 inches (75mm) of suspension lift, and they sit 4 inches (100mm) wider than a stock S-10. I think they accomplish the lift in the front with longer upper and lower control arms and jacked up torsion bars. I think the rear gets its lift from leaf springs with more arc than a stock S-10, but it could be from lowered spring brackets on the frame too, as they look to sit lower than necessary on my truck.

The front wheel wells are larger on a ZR2 than on a stock S-10. You could have the front fenders trimmed, but then you may have problems fitting inner fenders. The rear shouldn't be a problem as it would be easier to trim to the proper size. ZR2's come stock with 31x10.50xR15 BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires, but I fit 32x11.50xR15 Mud-Terrains on my ZR2 with only a little bit of tire rub in the fenders while cornering and hitting a large bump at the same time.

I'm sorry to say, but you can't just throw on a 3" suspension lift and call it a ZR2. ZR2's have narrowed full-size GM truck 10 bolt rear axles that are still something like 3 or 4 inches wider than a stock S-10 axle. I'm not sure what they did to the front axle, but I think it's wider than a stock S-10 4x4, too. All ZR2's come with 3.73 gears - and you'll need them if you will be running anything larger than about 30" tires.

Hope this helped.

<font color=blue>Daddy always said that a Phord is about as useful as a shovel with a rope handle.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The frame on a ZR-2 is also different than a 4WD S-10 or Blazer to accomidate the wider track-width. You can still "fake" everyone out by making yours look like a ZR-2 though. I think Bushwacker or someone makes the O.E. Zr-2 looking flares, then you can put quality wheel spacers on the front&back and do a t-bar crank and either Add-a-leaves or shackles or both in back to make the 31's fit like they do on a ZR-2. Then just swap to 3.73s and you'll have a Poor Man's Zr-2! Doesn't Bigmileage_S10 have a 94 X cab that looks like a ZR-2?
A.Smith

1989 S-10 4x4 4.3L/700R-4, 3.08s, 31" Sport Kings
1989 Blazer 4x4 4.3L/700R-4 3.42s,235 Sport Tracks
1985 S-10 4x4 Soon to have 3504BM/TH350/D44/14FF, 35" Boggers
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just like he said yeah thats what i did. Looks just like one except for the flares i liked the warn ones better they had a molded mud flap in them which i really liked. So i bought those but basically my truck sits the same height at a ZR2. I haven't had new pictures since the flares but when i get them i'll be sure to post them.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 PM
VON

suspension or body lift

When you say it sits 3 inches higher,BTW mine is a blazer downsize, is it an actual suspension lift, or is is a body lift, reason is that if it is a suspension lift could I lift the body 1 more inch to go up to 32 or maybe even 33 inch bfg,all terrain.like tom go 33 but 32 would be ok I just want to squeak by dont want tires to rub would have to be rarely rarely. if by chance you have same year show me your rig and how it was achieved. thanks
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM
Journeyman

Smile ZR2 Suspension Info

The ZR2 blazer comes with a 3 inch suspension lift from GM, it is also 3.9 inches wider; however, many round this off to 4 inches for simplicity. As you may well be aware, it does come with 31 inch tires stock with 3.73 gears
(up to 2003 came with 31 x 10.50 R15 tires--04 & 05 were chaged to P265/75R15 tires). The front axle is an "enhanced" vesion of the aluminum diff that is in stock blazers & pickups (7.25 inch). The rear axle is the 8.5 inch axle assembly used in fullsize pickups (8.5 inch). The rear axle is available with the gov-lock as an option (G80). You probably have the manual shift NV233 transfer case, later there was an available 3 button electric shift or 4 button (autotrac) electric shift transfer case. It has aluminum skidplates (up to 03), later replaced to composite (04-05). Pertaining to the fitment of the fender flares, to my knowledge they will fit without any mods. If you need more info check out the Welcome to zr2.com, if you need any more help ask me. Late
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode