Working on a method to manually engage vac. front - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Working on a method to manually engage vac. front

<font face="Comic Sans MS"> Just like the title said, I'm currently working on designing a (very inexpensive) mechanical system to engage the front differential so we can do away with those extra vacuum lines (and vacuum actuator), which seem to be the cause of dismay for many with these trucks. Sure JC Whitney currently makes one of these, but for $100-$160 I'm thinking it's not worth it.

So far it looks like "The Sandman upgrade" as I'll be calling it should be able to be assembled yourself for (likely) 75% less than the cost of the pre-made product.

I'll make specific information known as it becomes available, for those of you who would want to do one of those setups yourself, but without the (relatively large) expense of a ready-produced item. That would include a parts list and likely some pictures. It may be a while.

Another plus side to eliminating the vacuum actuator/system would be the ability to use 2wd low range. This will be helpful for me since I sometimes have to maneuver a trailer and 4wd on pavement don't get along well, but the extra slowness and control of low range would be a bonus.

But anyhow, I'll make sure and either do an article about it, or post the relevant info here. (Incidentally if someone gets any ideas of trying to make one of these before me, I'm still calling it "The Sandman upgrade" [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img])</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Working on a method to manually engage vac. front

Sounds like a lot of custom fabricating of sheet metal in a vice to make the brackets [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img], but possibly a good winter project [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] for when it's raining/sleeting/snowing outside like it is here in Michigan right now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

You might be able to use something like a pull cable from a carburator's manual choke if it's stout enough to get the job done without breaking.

The GM dealer just replaced the actuator switch in my `96 ZR2 a couple weeks ago under a recall campaign. They put a bunch of new wiring in the engine compartment that wasn't there before. My question is: What was so wrong with the old lock-out hubs like on my `84 3/4 ton that they had to think up some hairbrained thermal actuator switch?

<font color=blue>Daddy always said that a Phord is about as useful as a shovel with a rope handle.</font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The way I'm thinking about will only require modification to the original stock bracket that holds the vacuum actuator (however I'll try and make it so that you can easily return to the vacuum setup if you so desire). The only bad thing about the carb's manual choke cable is there's no provision for locking it in either position. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] If I can ever manage to get myself out and start working on this.

For mine at least, what I'm likely going to do is attach whatever mechanism I find to my transfer case shift lever, that way it'll always be accessable yet not get in the way like some other possibilities might.

That electric crap is definitely not a good choice. I would venture to guess that the vacuum system is a better setup than the electric actuated method, because this way even if we do have some sort of problem we can still hook the diaphragm directly to a port on the engine if we need "get out" mode...

I like sleet/snow... Provides for lots of entertainment. Not only from playing in it myself, but from watching the over confident yuppies who can't drive for $h!t and always go about 20mph too fast for conditions drive into things like ditches and signs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]... Now that's comedy... Ok I'll shut up now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:33 AM

hey guys, if you love watching other people do stupid things, check out the video on this page... I saw this on the news yesterday! Remember, this is in San Diego county. We've had worse weather up in higher elevations in the last week and this just proves that people who drive SUV's should know what they are getting into!

MSNBC Link

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.nbci.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode