shackles,ball joints - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 11:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

shackles,ball joints

I think that I am going to do the torsion/shackle lift now thanks to the input from the helpful members here. My question now is what brand of shackles are the best? Are there better ones out there than the ones at Advance Auto? I am going to be towing a lot of weight (21 ft. Sea Ray) with my 1997 Jimmy, so they have to be strong. Also, I just had all of my ball joints replaced at the dealership in August- I know now that I should have had them use MOOG, but I was unaware at the time. Will these "factory" ball joints hold up to the additional torsion crank?? I really don't want to replace them again. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: shackles,ball joints

I would say get an AAL instead of the shackle.. Only in this instance tho because you tow a heavy boat.. Otherwise I would say to anyone else go with the shackle.. Reasoning is the spring rate stays the same with the shackle and when you connect your boat the rear is still going to sag all the way down and reverce arch your leaves (not good).. Where as the Add A Leaf will increas the load capacity of the rear and keep the rig level or close too it with the boat on.. Only drawback is when unloaded the ride will be harsher but then again its not a Cadillac to begin with.

About the ball joints.. Depending if you run your rig hard.. You had factory ones in there before and its only a 97?!?!? Hmm the may last another 3 years.. Not too bad but with the crank it will wear them out a little quicker because of the higher operating angles.. The best you can do for them is get a grease gun and keep them squirted every month along with all the other zerks.. Should last you a while then..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just bought the vehicle in early August, so the ball joints were bad to begin with - the mechanic thought that they were never greased before, being that it was a 1997. I plan on greasing them in hopes of getting at least 3 more years out of them. The Jimmy has no problem towing the boat now, so would adding the shackles change it's load capacity?I see that add-a-leafs are the best bet for me, but I want to keep the ride as good as possible (not that the torsion method will help) haha. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The shackles at not-so-advanced auto are thicker than stock, but they have no center brace. I don't know where you could get ones with a center brace. Stop by the local machine shop and ask them if they would weld in a brace or make you some good shackles. It would be more money, but would keep this // and \\ from happening.
I personally would get add-a-leafs. I think our '97 Tahoe is a little bouncy with the 20' Wellcraft in tow. But everyone has their preferences, if you are happy with your ride then get some shackles with a center brace.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 10:36 PM

You will be amazed at how long the replacement ball joints will last if you maintain them. My truck is a 91 with 177k with the stock ones, and they are due to be changed, but this truck was well maintained most of its life.
Blazernut

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2001, 03:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's what I did. I got some shackles from a auto store here. I looked for ones that would be tough enough and found that my shackle bolt's were justa bit bigger(metric). I drilled them out and they fit fine. i didn't use a cross brace cause i wanted a little more flex and I also used the middle hole. I put in an add a leaf and rancho stock replacement shock's. This made the back level with the front when it was also raised and gave me incredible twist in the rock's. I've got pic's of my 30/9.50's stiffed in one side and about two feet from the fender well on the other. In the front I ran stock shock's, cranked the bar's and put my upper ball joint's on the bottom of the a arm. This gave me about 2 1/2-3 inch's in the front. I a'way's ran 30's but 31's wound also fit if I wanted to put up with a little rubbing.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Poster: mr.horsepower
I put my upper ball joint's on the bottom of the a arm.

What did that do for you? How hard was it to do? Also do you think it gave you more height than just the t-bars alone. Last what will this wear out faster? Thanks.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am runnin a 86 s-10 with a body lift, cranked torsion bars and 32's. I have 160,000miles on the stock ball joints and haven't had a problem yet, so you probably won't. I am replacing those and all the other front end joints when I put a 2 inch superlift on later this summer though, just to be safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode