4x4??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

4x4???

OK heres the prob, i have a 88 blazer 2.8, heres the thing, i have no 4wheel drive in 4x mode... I've checked the fluid, the actuator, the clips on the ends of the cable, the fluid in the transfercase,everythign execpt, I haven't put it in the air for a while to see if the front driveshaft turns, i think it is my transfercase but i'm unsure, can you tell me how much for a new, rebuilt, and junkyard transfercase is? that would be great if you could.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2001, 10:42 AM

Re: 4x4???

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Did you mean that the actuator pulls on that cable when your truck is running and you move the lever to 4x? If so, you might want to check the front differential where the cable goes into it (pull that out). I believe Diver mentioned something in there that can break and cause it not to engage. Does the transfer case make grinding noises? Sorry I'm not sure about the prices... </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i checked the front diff like you said, i removed the 3 bolts holdiing it in, then i started my truck, then put it in 4hi, i then tried to move the cable/plate assembly and it seemed that it was the most stable item on the truck,
when i'm in 2 hi, i hear a rymthic grindinf noise that sounds like ice on half my tire rubbing on my body, it increases with speed, i can also feel it through my floorboards, in 4 low, it whines so loud i can't dround it out with the radio...
and i havea pretty decent radio...

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 08:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Theres a vaccum Switch on the top of the transfer case That could be shot. I had that problem with mine one time. The grinding noise and all that. I changed that switch on top of the transfer case.

Matt Buttke

http://home.off-road.com/~matt/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode