Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   GM Small Trucks & SUV's (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/)
-   -   starter (https://forums.off-road.com/gm-small-trucks-suvs/54330-starter.html)

mettler 01-25-2001 08:53 AM

starter

how do I determine how many, if any, shims I need to use when installing a new starter?

'be a victor or be a victim'
David Vincent of Morbid Angel

The_Sandman_454 01-25-2001 01:41 PM

Re: starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS"> In a perfect world we could take a small round guage (3/32nds of an inch sounds right to me now but I doubt it is, anyhow somewhat small), fit the starter up there, fasten it, with the flywheel/flexplate exposed, and actually put the guage between the teeth on both gears to determine if it's shimmed correctly.

On the other hand since this is (likely) installed in a vehicle that's not feasable. Was the old one grinding? What do the wear patterns on the teeth look like? If it's grinding, I put 1 small shim (the thickness they include with the better quality units) and put it only to the outside bolt, and do that until it works properly. I'm not sure if that's the proper way, but it hasn't failed me yet. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC

mettler 01-27-2001 01:34 PM

well, my starter just cracked on me. I think this is the 7th one I have gotten. I cannot figure out what the problem is. They have all pretty much died the same death..cracking. With a 4.3L in a 4Runner, I can't get the starter out. I have to take it to someone to have it done. I will just have to emphasize to get the shimming almost perfect

The_Sandman_454 01-27-2001 01:38 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Which part of it cracked? All in the same place? Sounds more like you'll want to fabricate an additional support bracket for it perhaps. </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC

mettler 01-27-2001 03:03 PM

the aluminum head cracked..right next to the fly wheel. I am pretty sure it is the same sort of crack as before. I can look into a support bracket, but I don't know where I would connect it to.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-28-2001 12:40 AM

About the removal of the starter, yeah you have to raise the engine a tad to get her out, I was quite surprised by that little quirk myself. Any way for a garage to make some dough, or is it the ole oooops where we gonna put the starter now that we have designed this thing??? I hope your luck changes man!