fuel pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

fuel pump

what are the signs that your fuel pump is about to go? My truck seems to run fine under 60mph, but if I give it gas while trying to go up a hill it starts to cough badly and sputter. I can hear the engine getting gas and then stalling, then getting gas then stalling etc etc.

thanks

'be a victor or be a victim'
David Vincent of Morbid Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 04:27 PM

Re: fuel pump

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Is it mechanical or electric? Either way I believe the fuel pump could be the problem. When was the last time you changed the fuel filter or ran any fuel system cleaner through it though? I would check those two things first. A way you could check your fuel pump is to check the pressure and volume it pumps. You could do this while driving by hooking a guage up to the appropriate port, so you know what's happening with the pressure as you drive. But as a first (read: inexpensive) choice though the fuel filter and fuel system cleaner look like pretty good choices. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

It is a mechanical fuel pump. I put in the STP gas treatment on Friday. I am assuming that cleans my fuel lines..I did it to clean the carb since I was going on a trip. I also have an inline fuel filter that I can visually see and it looks clean. I thought originally that I had a leak in a fuel line somewhere and it was losing pressure when I was puting the truck under load, so I tightened all of the connections. That didn't solve it. So, now I think I will swap a new fuel pump in since it is relatively easy to do and inexpensive. I did just have a friend tell me that it might be the distributor..so, I will look into that also.

'be a victor or be a victim'
David Vincent of Morbid Angel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just had the fuel pump go out on my 95 blazer. It is an electric unit in the tank. The thing that tipped me off was that all of a sudden my truck began to take longer to start. I would often have to turn the key three to four times. It cost me about $85 bucks for the pump and $340 for a new sending unit assembly, because the steel lines were rusted and broke off during removal. My truck started up immediately when I turned the key for the first time, and has everytime since. Hope this helps in some way.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fuel pump info

I just had the fuel pump go out on my 95 blazer. It is an electric unit in the tank. The thing that tipped me off was that all of a sudden my truck began to take longer to start. I would often have to turn the key three to four times. It cost me about $85 bucks for the pump and $340 for a new sending unit assembly, because the steel lines were rusted and broke off during removal. My truck started up immediately when I turned the key for the first time, and has everytime since. Hope this helps in some way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode