check engine light PLEASE help someone - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

check engine light PLEASE help someone

I have a 99 blazer and on my way home this morning the check enginge light came on. is there any way I can get the code to find out what the problem is? Please help me out. I don't want to have to take it in until I know what the problem is. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 10:12 AM

Re: check engine light PLEASE help someone

<font face="Comic Sans MS">You have a system known as OBD II (On Board Diagnostics II), with which you can't simply jumper some terminals and read the flashes of the light, you would need a scan tool (from the way I understand it and have had it explained to me). I believe that would be a few hundred $$ for a good one. Last I checked it cost about $30 to have a shop scan a computer for me and give me a list of what the scaner came up with. I would say it's probably worth the $30 to get the codes read from somewhere. If you find it's something easy to fix, feel free to pay them their $30, and take it home and fix it yourself. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Might at least want to call around and make sure the price for only getting the codes read is in your area.</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for replying. I'll check it out this week. if anyone else knows anything, please tell me (besides the usual, checking the sensors)
thanks again,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know this is super basic, but since your truck is relatively new you may wanna try this, if you got gas pretty close before the light lit up make sure the gas cap is on there tight, on my moms 99 jimmy the light came on and a guy at a local shop told me to try that first before i had him check it. Said after i tighten it it may take up to 25 starts for the light to go off. Just somethin you may wanna try.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 96 ZR-2 that used to do that like clock work every other week or so. I looked it up in the owners manual and it said it about the gas cap, and a few other things also. It said that as long as the light was not flashing and was just on it was nothing serious.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Gas Cap VAccum thing is a possibility, any other symptoms? Hard long cranking starts? BAd gas mileage. The OBD II is very sensitive to fuel pressures and an array of other seonsors mainly dealing with fuel delivery and the state of the burn. Watch for those couple things... Still under warranty? Good Luck.. Wayne

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, I was driving it today and when I stopped at lights, it was idling weird. kinda like the motor mounts were messed up or something. and also on New Years Eve, when I left 6th street (partying) it took about a minute to crank. I didn't know what the hell was up with that, but it never happened again and I was drunk so I just forgot about it. I haven't had a fill up in a while, but I did notice that my dad's expedition gets about 2 MPG better than my blazer. I don't know what the hell is wrong with it. I'll probably just take it in tomorrow. (I hate to do that). hopefully it won't be a big deal. I don't want to spend much money on it because I am going to sell it soon...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not to sound like a parent or something, but you were drunk when you cranked your car. Man if not for your own well being, for the well being of your truck dont go messin around with driving drunk. Bad things will happen i can guarantee it.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 05:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't come here to get lectured. I came to get info on my truck. I appreciate your concern, but I am an adult (oddly enough) and even if I don't make the best decisions, they are my decisions. I chose to drive that night so that means that I accept the responsibility of what could happen.
Back to my truck, the light turned off when I was going out last night so I don't know what's up. I guess I have to just wait and see.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 11:16 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Not to lecture you anymore, but I'd like to know where you live and to be notified when you plan to go out drinkin' I'd like to know what path you take if you were living anywhere around the Tri-city area of Michigan. That way I can make sure to be out of that area when you are out. I'm glad you aren't, in fact. We don't need any more irresponsible people around here. I can't stand people who are stupid enough to not only risk their own life (I couldn't care less if you kill yourself), but also risk the lives of everyone else on the road by their careless actions. You say you accept the responsibility. This isn't the place to vent, but if I was in charge, I would make driving under the influence a sentence punishable by 1) immediate and permanent revocation of driving privellages 2) forfeiture of vehicle 3) a lot of jail time. The same penalty as I would require for use of a firearm under the influence. The vehicle in the drunk driver's case is no less lethal than the firearm. Just pi$$es me off to no end reading about people that were injured or killed by a drunken driver or one under the influence of other things. Just camp out in your truck overnight or something.

Ok my rant is over. I still think you should go get the codes read to see what comes up.</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode