2.8 tricks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 03:06 AM
jeeper131

2.8 tricks

Well, I've posted on this before, and after a couple monthes of looking and doing low-budget playing I'm still looking. I added an accell super coil, a K&N airfilter, just the filter mind you, not the charger, and even went so far as to flip my air-cleaner assembly cover over. I've got a 93 with the much maligned 2.8 in it. I'm not sure if I want to sell it or keep it, but its got low miles and its paid for so I'll probably keep it. What I want to know is this: What are some more relatively low-buck mods that can be done to grab some ponies without sacrificing mileage/reliability much? I think the idea of the backyard coldair ram system seemed kinda cool, might be trying that one otu later. I've also heard TBI spacers mentioned but could never get a sufficient answer to if they work and if so, how. Any suggestions for a struggling college student? Thanks

MudFlap
'87 YJ in the works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 07:34 AM

Re: 2.8 tricks

Hi Mark
I saw that you had interest in a TBI spacer. I looked at your profile, and it appeared that your truck is carbed, if so, the TBI won't do you any good unless you change over to TBI, which I would highly recommend. It will give much better drivability, more lowend torque, and better milage. it isn't too bad if you get the parts from a S-10 and just bolt them on. If your truck has a TBI on it, I have heard from a couple of friends on mine that they work well, and I'm about to get one for my truck. Good luck![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

'91 S15 Jimmy 5.7L 4X4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 08:54 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The 2.8 is a good little engine, in my experiences very long lasting and able to stand up well to some prolonged 5000-6000 RPM dune running.

Not very low buck but you could find a 3.4L v6 and bolt it directly in, just grab the computer from the other one (assuming your 93 is TBI which is likely is) and plug it in. That would get you a relatively large jump in HP and torque.

On my carbuerated one I have found a little performance gain by advancing the timing a little over stock. I don't know how your computer in yours would feel about that though. More freely flowing exhaust would probably help a bit.

Be sure to let us know which spacer you get if you choose to go that route, and how you like it, as well as which size spacer. You can adjust what happens with the spacer by altering the height of the spacer you use.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There's always nitrous [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]</font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My November article on ORC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Why not do a aluminum head swap? I have a set off a 3.1 that's for sale.. the 3.1's are better then the 2.8 's and they have canted valves.

matt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 12:06 AM
jeeper131

whats an aluminum head going to do? I've never looked into that sort of thing. I plan on doing the TBI spacer switch, but probably not until spring break. College doesn't leave me any time for working on my truck. On the cold air good/hot air bad front, I was thinking of wrapping my air intake tube in insulating tape. I was also thinking of ways of increasing the size of the tube, but I don't know how that'd mess with the computer. Can I just cut off the old one and fab my own thats much larger?

MudFlap
'87 YJ in the works
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 04:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Going with the aluminum heads would be a good thing, but there is a lot more work involved than just swapping the heads. The cumbustion chamber on the aluminum heads is smaller that the chamber on the steel heads. In order to use the Al heads you would have to but in dished pistons. If you were to go that far you might as well put in a 3.1 crank and strock your 2.8 to a 3.1. The Al heads flow much better than the Steel and the combustion chamber is heart shaped, which is suppose to be better. (I can't remember why though)

Ben [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 12:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The heart shaped combustion chambor is ALOT better because the fuel/air mixture is swirlled around better and producing a better power yield, Do you all remember the Chrylser Hemi??? a VERy powerful engine, part to the HEMIspherical heads, they also provided enormous swirling of the air/fuel mix, they would of been fuel efficient engines if they diddn't have a huge carb on top of them, But then wheres the fun? :-}

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2001, 12:33 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

There's always nitrous

<hr></blockquote>

How many times do I have to tell you Tim, There's no substitute for a 454 or 502 BB Chevy.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

--Drew
83 S10 4x2
I AM <font color=red>CA</font color=red><font color=white>NADI</font color=white><font color=red>AN</font color=red>!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode