Maybe an S-10? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe an S-10?

I wanted to know if any of you own a 92 or newer S-10 with a V6,? if so, any home buit pre-runners? is the 4.3l v6 a fast truck, or does it have the potential to be? is there a lot you can do with the suspention? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Maybe an S-10?

no takers?

Aaron '74 Blazer 350 4x4 auto 35"bfgs m/t 6"lift. '88 Comanche 4.0l pre-runner 4.5" lift 33" mud king,(used to own an '89 bit rolled it 3 times) a '90 wrangler(untill some sick bastard stole it)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:26 AM

for a 4wd there are not any companies that make a pre-runner suspension lift. trailmaster makes a 4+" lift, but it is more a trail riding kit.
I think a 2wd s-10 with a 4.3L would be a good pre-runner. If you get the vortec engine it has around 190 hp. put a good exhaust on it and a new air intake it would be a fun ride. there are a few companies that make a 6.5" long travel lift for the 2wds - camburg, california super trucks, baja concepts, and fabtech.
hope that helps a little

Craig

'89 S-10 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock

'88 Kawasaki Mojave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes the 4.3 V-6 is an awsome engine with very good low end torque.. On the other hand the suspention in stock form kinda ZZZIIIPPPP (NOMEX suit)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] sucks.. That is for offroad performance such as pre running.. Trust me I have done it.. I have 7" of lift and have taken the truck out for a beating and it does OK but untill you get behind an equaly modified Yota or (dare I say on this list) Ranger there is no comparison.. It would take a ton O money to make a 4wd S-10 into a formitable fast off roader or even come close to the suspension travel of those.. I do have an idea on how to do it but just estimating, and me doing most of the work put that price well over $8000.. Naw, I just bought a race buggy instead.. Beat the piss out of it Vs. my daily driver..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 06:59 PM

Like WeaZle said, S-10's kinda suck for pre-runners... HOWEVER, it can be done if you have the cash. I've seen anything from 11" wheel travel 4x4's (which keep breaking front pinion gears), to 4x2's with Ranger suspension on them for the travel.

The sad truth is that the a-arms just don't cut it, and apparently the aftermarket doesn't seem to care much for it.

Fishyoo7 mentioned the 6.5" travel kit from companies like Camburg... Yah, they have them, but if you buy Toyota or F*rd you'll end up with something like 10" to 15" of USABLE wheel travel.

In my honest opinion, if you wanted to go and spend the money to make a good S-10 pre-runner, more power to you... if you're watching the budgie, then go for a Toyota and swap in a Vortec V-6 motor! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PS -- if you are serious about the S-10 idea, then I would suggest you contact Jeff at California Super Trucks. He can pretty much build you what you want, just be ready to pay for it. I would suggest to contact him only if you are committed to spending some coin on getting what you want...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 07:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ARE YOU SERIOUS ABOUT THE ENGINE SWAP? (4.3 CHEVY V6 INTO A TOYOTA?) IS THERE SUCH A KIT MADE WITHOUT DOING A HUGE AMOUNT OF MODS?

Aaron '74 Blazer 350 4x4 auto 35"bfgs m/t 6"lift. '88 Comanche 4.0l pre-runner 4.5" lift 33" mud king,(used to own an '89 bit rolled it 3 times) a '90 wrangler(untill some sick bastard stole it)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:08 AM

from what i know, it is a pretty common swap. you might want to ask the guys in the toyota bbs on the details of that.

Craig

'89 S-10 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts (For Sale!)
'99 S-10 2.2L 2WD 5 Speed Totally Stock

'88 Kawasaki Mojave
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 06:41 PM

Check out Advance Adapters. They have a book in there available for about $10 that is well worth it. They have been in the biz for years and really know their stuff. The book will cover (in generalities), doing various engines into the type of vehicle you ordered...

They have all sorts of swaps in there. Hell, you could toss a small block in a Toyota. It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend.

Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cool, thanks, i'll have to order that!

Aaron '74 Blazer 350 4x4 auto 35"bfgs m/t 6"lift. '88 Comanche 4.0l pre-runner 4.5" lift 33" mud king,(used to own an '89 but rolled it 3 times) a '90 wrangler(untill some sick bastard stole it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode