solid axel conversion?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

solid axel conversion??

I got an 89 jimmy 2wd. am attempting to fit 35's on it and was wondering if i should even consider converting front to solid axel. I Don't even know the procedure. is it worth it?? maybe i should just by every lift ever made for my truck, eventutally ill get enough clearence with a bit of trimming. any input on the conversion would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 06:40 PM

Re: solid axel conversion??

It depends on what you want to do with the truck. personnally, I would go for the SFA conversion if your going off-roading a bit. The SFA will allow your truck to get mutch more articulation [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] from your front and also its the best way to get easily 12" of lift and I have even seen 16" SFA conversion depending on the parts used and how you modify the truck.

Think of this also, with the new SFA, you already have a strong front end [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] with the new diff. The other lifts just keeps the existing parts and lowers them enough to get the lift you want. But then, your CV joints are the same size they were but with bigger tires [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. All the main components which were designed for a stock truck are still the same which means they "will" break [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] more often when off-roading and putting some stess in them and will in the end be worth more money than going for SFA right away I think. Also, if your going wheeling a lot, your probably going to change to SFA sooner or later, so why spend twice. Just go for the SFA right away.

I know that installing a SFA is not as easy as putting some lift kit, but the joy of riding that type of truck and the security of going in a trail with a reduced chance of breakage, is mutch more interressting in the long run than adding a lift kit. At least thats my personnal opinion on the subject. It's a long and hard choice which must be thought threw before proceeding, but take all the things into account and I'm betting your going to realise that changing right away might be the right way to go.

Happy Wheeling!

Yannick
1999 Zr2 4.3L 31x10.5 BFG M/T's
Zuk in the horizon...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont know if you noticed that the blazer is 2WD, is a SFA even possible on a 2wd truck?

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know why anyone would tell you to do a solid front swap, when you don't have anything to swap out. I don't understand why you want to put 35 on a two wheel drive anyway. Try a 31 or so it'll be a lot earier with just a 3 inch body lift.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 11:50 PM

Oops, sorry![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] My mistake, I was sure you had a 4x4 since you were asking about the SFA and I did not even look at the truck year or if it was a 4x4. Thanks jrogers for reminding me. Forget what I said about that Bongman. You are right guys, no use trading something which isn't there [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Unless you want to convert your truc to 4x4 and SFA, that could be a nice project...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Yannick
1999 Zr2 4.3L 31x10.5 BFG M/T's
Zuk in the horizon...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 11:16 AM

Hey,

As said before, since you have a 4x2 putting an extra axle in the front is kinda useless... but it can be done, as folks have converted to 4x4 in past with full sizes and even some s-10s.

The question is WHY? You'd be better off buying a new truck with 4x4...

Anyway, 35" is a tall order (pun intended). The problem with the newer trucks is the clearance. I would guess that in order to fully get 35" tires in there you would need a few things...

Body Lift -- Just 2". Any more and you start hurting body mounts more rapidly. That and they look kinda funny.

Suspension Lift -- You can either go with a regular lift if available or go with something like CAMBURG has. They have some pretty trick bolt on stuff.

Fiberglass Fenders -- Newer vehicle could benefit from some good fiberglass fenders with a bigger bulge to house those big tires. The problem is that the front clip is supported by the sides, so you'll need to brace them.

Hope that helps...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode