Too cold - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Too cold

Well up here in the great white North of Canada, The temp likes to drop from -20 to -40 and It's pretty cold in my truck. So the question of the day is how can I keep or get more heat in my ride? Bigger fan maybe to blow more air of go with ahigher temp thermostat, How about one of those heaters to plug into your lighter?

I`d rather push a Chev than drive a Ford
Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Too cold

Fly south for the winter.. Its 74* down here in So Cal, LA area.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Think warm thoughts.. Fix the broken passenger window, taped on garbage bag does not hold in heat very well.. Coupla cans of sterno on the floor board.. Ummm hey im trying to help here.. Does your vehicle give off good heat when its warmed up all the way?? Could be blower motor going bad or the hose is coming off or cracked.. Probably just too damn cold outside.. Does your coffee freeze before you get to the truck?

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A higher temp thermostat would do the trick, but it won't help you get heat any faster - the heat you do finally get will just be warmer. I'm not sure but you might have a 180 degree thermostat, so you could drop in a 195.

One problem I had in my truck was the heater core. It plugged up from that damn '100k mile antifreeze' that coagulated in the cooling system. As the heater core plugged up, I kept on getting less and less heat. Finally it just stopped giving heat and started leaking -- all over the passenger's side floor. I installed a new heater core and when the heat starts to flow now, you could put a fresh cigarette down by the vent and probably come up with a lit smoke!

<font color=blue>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tell you what I can't drink coffee on my way to work cause of the god dam mitts I have on my hands, but seriously There is warm air blowing but it's not warm enough. Last year the blower would only work on the floor, I had to replace a 3 cent clip that held a vacume diaphram on to the control arm to control where the heat was going ( this is under the dash by the 4x4 in the back.) I see some people up here have a piece of material( plastic, cardboard) in the front of their grills, I wouldn't go this far,.... too much pride driving a Chev.

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 02:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put a engine block heater in my truck it gets pretty cold here in new york too. It wasn't that hard to put in and it was only like 20 bucks through gm. And if you wanted you could put one on each side of the engine to help even more. I have only one in mine.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 05:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After spending three years in Fairbanks, Alaska heat became very important to me. I ran a 210 thermostat, had a block heater, and warming pads on my oil pan, trani pan, and underneath my battery. If that don't do it you can get a remote/automatic starter that will start your truck automatically if it gets below whatever temp you set it at. Those run about $200 and are safe against theft(if someone messes with your car it'll turn off).

88 S-10 Blazer 4.3l K/N air filter, 2" body, torsion bar/shackle lift, 30" muds, custom front/rear bumpers, 4 KC daylighters
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 06:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I'm not quite in Fairbanks but I hear what your saying, I do have a block heater but there is one thing about this my neighbor (I live in a apartement so we share the same driveway) has a 92 F%?& Ranger and he is constantly pluging it in, and It seems that when it's too cold it just won't start so, off goes the Chev to save the day with my trusty booster cables. The bottom line is my truck has no problem starting at -35 ( a little sluggish) but I have to show off a little bit for the F?%$, (My father worked at the GM Plant in Montreal for 35 years, he beat the pride in Chev into me)haha. But seriously about the heat, do you think I should go to the point of buying one of those 110 BTU heaters that plug into my lighter? One thing for sure a new thermistat is going in tonight and is there any way to test the heater core to see if it's working to it's full potential? And how about the blower fan is it feasable to put in a bigger one maybe?

Hachey, 88 Blazer 4x4
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hear what your saying about starting at -35 at one point my house's fuse had blown in DEC and I was plugging my blazer in for no reason. I only figured it out when it hit -55 and my truck wouldn't start. I heard bad things about the floor heaters being put into trucks from the fire dep. they said that those are the most common cause of vehicle related fires in fairbanks area. I'd suggest always plugging in your truck because it then takes less time for the engine to warm up enough to get your heater going good. well good luck and stay warm.

88 S-10 Blazer 4.3l K/N air filter, 2" body, torsion bar/shackle lift, 30" muds, custom front/rear bumpers, 4 KC daylighters
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you ever replaced your heater core lately? It may be plugged up or the fins may be bent. I put in a new heater core in my truck ( 37 dollars), and i can't drive with the fan on and the temp on all the way hot cause i start to sweat. Granted the coldest it has been here is at about 0 degrees, but i would imagine with the fan on , it should keep up. It was like 40 when I changed my heater core, I would not want to do that at -40.

The Duke

I'm old enough to know better, but still too young to care.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had to block off about 2/3 of my rad. with cardboard, and now even when its 40 degrees above, and with a 190 degree stat the damn thing only gets up to around 180! I put the cardboard behind the grille. You could spray bomb it black if you don't want to see it. If I were you, I'd get a heat pad for the oil pan, and the block heater. I just got a Bulldog remote engine starter for x-mas(haven't installed it yet) but it will start the engine automatically if the temp drops below a certain degree, or if the batt. voltage drops below 12V, AND if a theif decides to try and drive away, it shuts off,or if someone tries to open the hood-shuts off! The best part is its made in the USA(in Ohio) has a lifetime warranty, and only costs $50! It also lets you remotely unlock the doors and the rear hatch(Blazer/Jimmy). I put one on my Dads car this fall and he LOVES it! The vehicle needs to be a fuel injected automatic for it to work though! You can also set programmable run times, up to 15 minutes if I remeber right. I think the website is www.bulldogsecurity.com Check it out
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode