ZR2 rear axle questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

ZR2 rear axle questions

I got a few questions about the ZR2 rear axle. What is the gearing in them, is it a 4.10? Also do those have disc bracks on them don't they? And, could you use the springs from the ZR2 rear end on a 'normal' s-10? I know the axle is wider than a 'normal' s-10, but i was thinking of getting the camburg long travel kit for the 2wd s-10, so i was thinking of using the ZR2 rear end because the kit gives longer a-arms and wheel spaces.
thanks guys

Craig

'89 S-10 4.3L 31" Yoko M/Ts
'88 Kawasaki Mojave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: ZR2 rear axle questions

Gearing im sure is 3.73.. It is a Corp 10 bolt 8.5 carrier same as in teh fullsize.. 97+ got the disk brakes.. I dont think the ZR2 leaves will fit because they are wider and will not fit into the frame perch.. I could be wrong on that.. The ZR2 axle is wider by 2".. To go through the expence and trouble just to gain 2" much less find one I think its not worth it.. Go find a Exploder with the 8.8 and disks.. A lot more common, stronger and the right size.. You will have to weld on some new perches and cut the old ones off.. Oh yea, you will then have to deal with the lug pattern.. Oh well[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img].....

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

what i was thinking of doing, was using the zr2 leaf springs in place of the ones on my truck, 99 2wd, and moving the spring perches. plus the benifits of disc brakes and a stronger and wider axle are nice. I want to get the longtravel kit from camburg, the front arms are longer, and run 31s, so i don't have to get fiberglass front fenders. but i only have the 2.2L with the 5 speed so i won't be running loads of hp thru the rear end.

Craig

'88 Kawasaki Mojave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:50 PM

Fishyooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo7!

Why not get leaf springs made from Deaver or National Spring? You'll probably get them cheaper and they will be more durable than stock slags...

Just a few things:

If you plan on using the wider ZR2 axle on your truck you will need to either pull the besides or go with fiberglass. That extra 2" will tuck into your wheel wells and probably destroy them... even with 31" tires. I'm "pretty sure" about this.

You will probably need fiberglass no matter what you do with 31" tires. Longer a-arms will only compound it moreso. I could be wrong, but there is barely enough for 31" tires stock on a 4x4, and a 4x2 usually has a smaller opening for tires. You'll probably need to make sure of the final width before you start cutting and welding stuff in place; should save you some headaches in the long run.

Also, don't forget the best part of having a long travel kit -- SHOCKS SHOCKS AND SHOCKS. If you don't get the right shocks you'll probably be sorely disappointed!

Camburg's got a good rep for a newer company. Make sure you take photos of before an after! Maybe you can do an article on it and post photos!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

I have the step side bed on my truck....so if you think i should pull my bedsides, it might be kind of hard. I know that if I were to run 33s with the lift i need front fiberglass and cut it a little. Also, I live in michigan, so i won't be doing much pre-running with the truck, but there are some places that it would be nice. thanks for the input.

Craig

'88 Kawasaki Mojave
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a ZR2 and one thing that I can tell you is that the 31" AT's that come on it stock barely fit (mind you a stock ZR2 already have a 3" suspension lift AND trimmed front fenders). I presently run 32x11.50 MT's on my truck and cornering over a bump causes them to rub from time to time on the back of the fender SO I don't think 31's will work that great on a 2WD that likely sits lower in the front than a stock 4WD in the same model, neither of which have the trimmed fenders. Even if you do some front end suspension work on the truck, you still may need to trim sheet metal.

ZR2 axles are ALL 3.73 ratio, to the best of my knowledge. I have NEVER heard of a ZR2 with 3.42's or 4.11's unless it was a custom, aftermarket setup.

The ZR2 rear would probably be a nice addition to your truck, though. Everybody says that 10 bolts are 'weak' - well, the only one I ever 'broke' was used, abused, and had 240k miles on it. The failure was carrier related (retainer screw fell out) and could have been prevented if I would have paid closer attention when changing the fluid one time. A new carrier (not really necessary, just wanted a better posi unit), the same gears, and I still use the axle today in my plow truck.

<font color=blue>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 12:07 AM

My buddy and I were discussing the weakness of the rear axle the other day, and we both found it hard to believe that I could grenade my rear axle. In fact it would be pretty difficult unless I were jumping it, which I never do (on purpose).

And this is with driving on beach sand or dirt roads at 70+ mPh. Go figure.

I was figuring on possibly getting the lift on my truck done in the next year or two. Five inches with Trailmaster or Rancho, good shocks, and somehow shoehorning 32's in there. Plus I'd like to add 4.56 gears or 4.11's. Either way I'll still be dangerous at stop signs against Hondas... which is always good!

Fishy another thing just occured to me. Since you're running 4x2, you might want to also consider a good locker in the rear... I don't remember if the ZRdeuce's came with them stock? You can gains gobs of traction on a 4x2 with a locker in there... just another thought...

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that the GM Gov-Lok is as good as it gets in terms of a stock posi ZR2 rear. I have the Gov-Lok in my `96 GMC ZR2 and haven't had a single problem with it (other than the pinion seal leaking for about a week one time - still can't figure that one out; topped it off and it quit leaking). Can roast `em both off the line in first and squack in second... not too bad with 32's and a basically stock drivetrain [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

<font color=blue>Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode