15x10s versus 15x8s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

15x10s versus 15x8s

i am goin to get a 2" or 3" body lift for the Z and plan on gettin BFG muds 33x15x12.5s... ive heard some differing opinions, but i figured that a 15x10 rim would be best, seen as the tire width is 12.5... but someone mentioned they ran 12.5s on a 15x8 rim, and said the tire protects the rim better, even though the rim isnt rated for that tire... lookin for opinions as usual... thanks

Dan, '95 ZR2
"i love eatin toyotas... nothin better than asian cuisine"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 02:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 15x10s versus 15x8s

i'll be running 33's on 15x8s. The offset of 15x10 could rub unless you gut at least 5 inches of lift. but the tire should fit just about any 15" rim. You should be concerned about the backspacing more than the tire/wheel combo.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

so your running 12.5 width tires on a 8 width rim... i just didnt think that was possible without putting stress on the rubber and possibly damaging the tires... maybe im wrong, but when u look at the rims rated for a tire with that width under BFgoodrich or SuperSwamper or any other tire application chart they always recommend a 10inch rim... at first glance this would seem like common knowledge but i guess its not

Dan, '95 ZR2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The reference you refer to is the combo they use for their actaul measurements... It's common knowledge that a 12.50 tire will fit perfectly on either a 8in. or 10in. wide wheel... Both have advantages and disadvantages... The 8in. wheel will make the tire stand taller but narrower... The slight bulge in the tire will indeed protect the rim a bit also but not a locking hub... A 10in. wide wheel on the other hand will make the tire wider and a slight bit shorter... The wider rim will not protect the rim as much but if you have locking hubs its a life saver... A 10in. wheel will be harder to cover and will require cut-out flares for most applications where the 8in. usually will not... The 10in. wheel will require more room for turning as was stated also, whether it be trimming or added lift... What it all boils down to is preference and personal needs...

Hope this helps...

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
Webmaster @ S10-4x4.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 10:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thats great... exactly what i was lookin to find out... one question left: do u think the width of the wheel is more important as far as turning goes, or the width of the tire? if i got a 2 inch lift and added 33s with a 12.5 width on my 15x8 rims, as opposed to 15x10, would i need some more boost to cover the turning? thanks again

Dan, '95 ZR2
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 07:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, it would be very interesting if you could fit 33's under there without rubbing problems. You shouldn't have problems with the steering system being able to handle the extra meat (Just get/fab a steering box brace) but a 2" body lift will require extreme triming to clear on your ZR2.

Go with the 15x8's - and have them test mount both front wheels w/ tires for you. Check the rub both left and right on full lock.

Point of reference. I have a fullsize tahoe, and with a 4" suspension lift, I can clear 33's on 15x8s with no rub, and 35's with little rub.

g'luck...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i think i may go with a 3inch body lift, and then tweak the torsion bars and replace the OEM shackles... that should be enough clearance for the 33s... i hope

Dan, '95 ZR2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode