Hair pulling problems. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hair pulling problems.

I have a 93 s10 blazer with the w series 4.3L. I ended up having to change my water pump at about 140k km after the it started leaking out the bottom weeping hole. So I replaced the water pump and thermostat, now that was about a month and a half ago. All of a sudden my engine temp has been acting funny, while running at highway speeds and setting my cruise in overdrive it's fine if I down shift to drive the temp builds way up and the check gauge lights come on, put it back to over drive and it's fine, but pulling hills it get warm again. I just changed the thermastat again and still doing it as well as rad cap since I found coolant on the top of my battery and in the insulation under the hood. I don't see any signs of coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant as well as air bubbles coming back to the rad from a blown head gasket. So see I don't know if it's a faulty sensor since I just replaced it a year ago or a bad water pump. But the heater doesn't seem to be putting out an abnormally high heat, but I also notice that when hot the rad cap isn't, the upper hose doesn't seem to have a lot of pressure when squeezed. On a simpler problem I've been having morning sickness with my brakes where before the abs has set itself the brakes will lock up with a very light touch but it only does it in the winter so I'm kind of leaning towards a brake fluid flush. Well I hope you guys out there might be able to help with these problems specially the main one and hope I've given enough info on that one. But thanx for any help and hopefully I can return that help down the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 10:36 AM

Re: Hair pulling problems.

Wow. That's a lot to happen over a thermostat...

#1 - Did you put in the correct temp rated thermostat? One that's too high or too low will open up sooner or later than needed and can cause problems... Take it out and check to see if it will open and at what temperature with a pan, some water and a thermometer over your stove.

#2 - You said there was coolant leaking all over the place... Have you done a pressure test? You can go to a radiator shop and they usually have one to plug into the radiator cap hole to test it. This will let you know if something is leaking somewhere.

#3 - Do you smell radiator fluid all the time? Color of exhaust? Just making sure.

#4 - Is the radiator cap broken? That usually has a thermostat of sorts on it as well for the overflow tank to get some water... If it's busted open then it will throw water into the reservoir tank until it's full and then all over the place!!!

As for the brakes. This can be a cause of a combination of things. You might have either too much heat or definitely not enough in the morning. The brakes run off the sensors that tell it it's cold or hot and how much vacuum pressure to help build up with the hydraulic pressure. Brakes will be sensitive like that until they are warm; it's probably over-compensating. You'll notice that under low RPM's high gear the brakes seem "squishier", and with it wound up they will be firmer. Is this the case for you?

PS -- Happy New Year!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

#1 the old and the new thermostats were OEM temps, and after testing the old one it was operating fine.

#2 Haven't done the pressure test to the system but will soon.

#3 No sweet smell of coolant and well in the bitter cold tad hard to tell the colour of exhaust since it's always white, but no smell that's the big one.

#4 I will test the cap when I test the rad but with the new one hopefully it isn't throwing fluid anymore.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just had a similar problem check the temp sending unit there two of them one on the front of the motor that one is for computer dont know where the other one is the dealer replaced that one for 100$ had very similar problem as yours I tryed everything also then took to dealer

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You mentioned that the "Check Engine" light was coming on. Did you pull the codes? Did you get an O2 sensor lean? Or was the "Check Guages" light coming on when you downshifted? Its the same color as the C.E. light but on the right of the dash. Did your temp guage peg to 160, then go down to around 220? If so its likely a temp. sender on the block. If its a check engine light, your likely running lean.
A.S.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Everyone's screaming Sensers Sensers Sensers... Did you think to flush out your coolent system?? How much junk has acculumated in it since your last flush....
Why don't we all go out to the garage and flush our radiatiors tonight, I know my truck Needs it... Does yours??
Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode