Dead Coil... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Dead Coil...

Hey all... just thought I would share this.

I have a 1998 S-10 4x4 truck. V-6, manual, yada yada yada...

I was driving to work yesterday (29 Dec 2000) and was going downhill. All of a sudden it felt like the truck popped out of gear (I'm sure you all know what that feels/sounds like). So I put in the clutch and try to put it back in. Apparently this was not the problem! The engine had died in motion!!!

I lucked out, as I was in an intersection at a downhill slope, and set myself up in a left turn lane and tried to start the truck. No dice. The light went green and I coasted to a safe place to stop it and get out.

Tried starting again on a flat surface, still no dice. I could get it to crank, had all my accessories and everything. The only thing I did different from the day before was to pull the cartridge out of my CD changer (which Santa was very good to get for me this year)...

Ended up having AAA tow the vehicle to the Chevy dealer (Wesloh Chevy in Carlsbad, CA). They put the truck in and basically told me that they "hope" it's the fuel pump, as this was a holiday weekend and the only thing they had available for people to work on was drivability problems. Otherwise I was stuck without a truck until Tuesday after New Years!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

So I drop it off and get a ride back to work. I am in the office no more than five minutes (a half hour has passed overall), and I get a call on my cell from the dealer, telling me, of all things.... THE COIL was dead. Just fell down and went boom. Also my belt tensioner was busted and dying and I needed a new battery.

So I got the new coil (about $47.50 plus labor) and a new tensioner installed ($37.55 plus labor) and told them to skip the battery, as I'll get one myself. Total cost was about $213 (damn!) and they had the truck ready for me in about four hours (plus this was a holiday weekend, mind you...)...

I was really impressed with the level of service I got from this dealer. I would definitely recommend them to perform service if you are in the North San Diego county area of CA! I have other people who would back me up in this recommendation as well.

And a damn coil was the main problem! What's up with that! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode