Crazy diesel question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crazy diesel question

Okay guys don't laugh but...
i was thinking could you put a new duramax 6.6 turbo diesel in a s-10 with a solid front axle. that would give the truck a lot of low end balls and great for long trip (ie. gas mileage). Tell me what do you guys think. and be honest. thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Crazy diesel question

Well, Mudder. First of all you'd likely need 3/4 ton front springs to support the 'MAX. Even though its got aluminum heads, its a heavyweight. Secondly you'd need a 1 ton drivetrain to be able to handle the RAW Torque. I.E. an Allison 5 speed auto, D60(35 spline) front/NP 205 T/C or a military, and a 14 Bolt FF rear
and like 4.56 gears. Then you'd need to brace the frame for the added stress, and torque. You'd likely need a MONDO huge radiator and an intercooler for the turbo also. A more feasable diesel engine to install in an S-10 would be a 4 cyl. Cummins that you can buy from them as a crate. It accepts a turbo easily and is based on the venerable B5.9(Ram) engine. It weighs as much as a 350, but makes like 450ft.lbs. natuarally aspirated, and around 650 with the turbo&intercooler. Its pricey though, but cheaper than a Duramax. I'd imagine you could use a 4L80E auto behind it also, or an NVG4500HD 5 speed. You'd still need to upgrade the fuel system and likely the frame also but not as much as with a V-8 diesel. It'd be sweet with a 3" stack, and an engine brake with the 5 speed! Plus you could pull around pretty much any other mini-truck around with a 4 cyl! Thats my thoughts on the subject, but if you do decide to do it-watch what the gov't does to the price of diesel fuel inthe next 4 years to try and rid it of Sulphur. A lot of people will be cryin' the blues. Damn gov't, I like the smell of black smoke in the mornin'. LOL
A.S.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks 355,
that is true what you siad about the drivetrain. Yes the MAX is an extremely powerful engine. I like the idea of diesel engine due to the fact that the home heating oil, wait im mean diesel fuel is so easy to find and it gets good mileage. The torque just happens to be another get thing. JK. Where can i get more info on this cumminscrate motor. I think NA would be the best way to go. The turbo just may have to many thing to go wrong on the trail. thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, besides who needs 650 ft.lbs. anyway? Theres a company in Texas, Dallas I think that specializes in unique diesel swaps. I saw them in Four Wheeler mag. in the Jan. 2000 issue. They put this cummins 4 cyl into a 50's Willys wagon. The engine was a Cummins crate motor though. Let me go look for the issue. Just be advised that diesel prices will skyrocket inthe coming 4 years, becuase of the EPA trying to "clean up" America. LOL
A.S.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I found it. Its Womack Diesel Service, Inc. Dept. FW01 1626 N. Austin St. Seguin, TX 78155 830-379-0030 phone fax 830-379-1404 [email protected]
They installed a 3.9L Cummins into a 1967 Jeep Wagoneer 4x4. The engine came from Cummins with a fac. turbo and made 105 bhp and 325 ft.lbs. but they massaged it to 130bhp and 525ft.lbs. at the rear wheels! They welded in 5/16"x4" steel plates along the inside framerails to support the motor mounts. They used a TH400/NP203 with the GM crossmember, but had to extend it with 1/4"x6" steel to wrap around the frame. Then they changed the charging system, the ignition wires, and fuel lines. They used the stock radiator. To keep the front driveshaft from hitting the oil pan they did a springover on it, also making room for 35s. The weight of the diesel actually softened the ride by flattening the springs a little. Hope this helps you out.
A.S.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 10:15 AM

Isn't it beautiful that diesel motors can get so much torque at so low an RPM!!???

I mean as an example, quoting GM Media Online regarding the Duramax 6.6 liter for 2001... -- Best-in-class power/performance with the segment’s highest horsepower and peak torque ratings. Targeted ratings are 300 horsepower @ 3,100 rpm and 520 lb-ft of torque @ 1,800 rpm. Its high, flat torque curve will deliver more power across the power band than any competitor, and will help Duramax 6600-equipped GM HD pickups excel in off-the-line performance, acceleration and heavy-duty trailering and hauling.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 11:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey,
Diesels are just amazing engine that last forever and have amazing power. I want to be able to tow a house when i want and still get at least 20 mpg. I can do that witha diesel. Plus they make great underwater engines, no ignition, just a snorkle and go. Im going to cummins northeast dealer next weekend to check on some prices on the inline 4 and inline 6 diesel motors. They pack a good punch.

MudderS10s
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mudder, please post what you find. That is a swap I have entertained but not done any leg work on.

Swamp Rat

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

no problem i am heading to the dealer tom.(wednesday). I will get prices and everything like weight and size. things like that.

MudderS10s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode