Does a 4.3 have enough power? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does a 4.3 have enough power?

Does everyone feel 4.3 had enough power for a light truck? built up too? Im doing a 4.3 swap for my toy - I have enough parts for ~250 hp and im debating if i should just build a blower motor and call it a day.

Any opinions or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 05:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Does a 4.3 have enough power?

The 4.3 in a midsize is comparable to a fullsize with a 350 if not more using the same year models...

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
Webmaster @ S10-4x4.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I feel the 4.3 (262) has plenty of power. Those who read Off-Road magazine, and have seen Walker Evans 4.3 would definately agree with me. My 4.3 is for the most part pretty stock, and I have street raced a 5.0 V8 explorer, kicked his ass, and I absolutely ruined a 3.0 V6 4runner . So compred to other small truck motors, the 4.3 is quite powerful, from here on out ti is up to you to decide just how bad ass you want it to be. (Well you and your bank account decide)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well cost ain't so much and issue - I get free machine work and since I'll probally get NEVER rid of it either But I want a engine that halls some serious [email protected]@- so I can beat up on new trucks

Like I have said I have enough cam and head flow to support ~250 hp- this ain't to wild for a 4.3- but my truck weighs 3400lbs so it should go decent- so maybe I shouldn't need a blower - then again I want 35's or 36's on my toy

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 12:42 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">There is always the stroker crank for the 4.3l I believe GM performance makes and sells. Might gain you some power. I have no experience with it at all, just tossing it out there as a possibility...</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was thinking of a stroker crank if I do a all alumninum blower engine ( I have acess to block- it came out of a desert buggy- made 485 hp with a single 4 barrel ) Im probrally gonna stick with a 3.75" stroke crank then a 4" stroke (cheaper)

I dunno what Im gonna use for heads yet the Brodix one's or a set of GM's- I dunno if I wanna use the GM ones - from what i have seen the ones off a ZZ3 suck and don't know if the V-6 ones are the same - I guess it's research time.........

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

heres my 2 cents
The 4.3 is a 3/4 350. its called that because if it had 2 more cylenders it would be a 350 V8.
now I have never had any probs blowing the doors oiff of a 5.0 'stang when i had my s_10. it had a 4.3. it came factory w/o power steering and no a/c... now the only draw on the engine was the alternater... it had a 5 speed... i ran mostley premum and it was stock... Boy did it [censored] and get!!!!

hope i helped
Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 02:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah it helps me some Now I got idea's trying to waste 5.0's in my 4WD ( should see the last 5.0 that tried racing my KTM 500 for money- lets say he LOST? as I wheelied by )

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 09:57 AM

The 4.3 is a torquey little bastard that's perfect for the weight of the Toyota. PLUS since it's smaller in size, weighs less and can, mechanically link up with the stock Toyota tranny (even if you aren't using it) it makes more sense.

In my opinion, 350 can be too much in a Toyota. It's bad enough I get a ticket for doing 103 in an S-10 a while ago. Imagine the damage you could cause with a lighter Toyota and some good suspension!!! And with the 350 you are probably going to have to change out both the front and rear axles for strength. The Toy rear ends are plenty strong for the most part, but even a v-6 Vortec can chew up a rear axle if your not careful. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Your main enemy in choices between motors is going to be space and heat. With the 350 you are going to have heat problems. I know they have been cured but it will always run hotter than the v-6.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your project!

Oh, what tranny and transfer case options were you going to use? Axles?

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im using a V-6 toyota trans and t/c with the stock axles (4.37 gears) Im gonna destroy the rear end atleast once then Im gonna put a V-6 3rd memeber in it with a electric locker if i can get one.

SPEED KILLS BUT YA GET THERE FASTER

KTM 500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode