96 Jimmy w/stuck hatch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

96 Jimmy w/stuck hatch

I have a 96 Jimmy with a hatch that won't open. Whether I push the release on the tailgate, or on the dashboard it sounds like it is going to release, but it doesn't. I tried triggering it with a screwdriver as the owner's manual suggests, but it just does the same thing. I keep it in a heated garage, so I know it isn't frozen. Has anyone else had this problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 12:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 96 Jimmy w/stuck hatch

Okay, since nobody else repsonded to my question, I will (just in case anybody else runs into this problem). After about an hour of messing around with the latch and interior tailgate trim I managed to pop the hatch open by activating the latch with a small pry-bar from above while my wife held the trim back (the trim piece won't come all the way off because you have to lower the tailgate and unscrew the two screws that fix it to each side of the tailgate - a design flaw in my opinion). Once the hatch opened, I could lower the tailgate and take it apart to see what the problem was. I removed the top cover plate. Attached to the cover plate is actuator that is supposed to "actuate" the hatch release mechanism. This actuator is about 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" with an electrical connection on one side, and the retracting arm that actually moves the hatch release lever on the other. Unfortunately, the arm is joined to the lever with a plastic fitting. Plastic fittings don't work well in the Wisconsin winter. Of course the fitting head had snapped off so the actuator was no longer attached to the lever. I called my local dealer. I can buy a new actuator for $51.00. I am sure that I could replace the plastic fitting with a "salvaged" one for next to nothing, but it was just too hard to open that hatch. I'd rather not have to deal with all of this again for another 4-5 years.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 96 Jimmy w/stuck hatch

yeah, plastic is bad in cold weather. You should see about rigging/fabing a steel or aluminum fitting for the future. Would svae you some headaches down the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode