Body vs. Suspension Lifts? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 02:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body vs. Suspension Lifts?

im askin way too many questions but i dont care, im 19 and ive got no experience, u guys are the easiest and most knowledgable source... My situation is with my ZR2, i want to lift it, but im debating whether i should just do a 3" body lift and throw 33s on it and be done, or if i should go with the 6" Superlift Suspension Kit... i know body lifts can be a bitch, but i also know that suspension lifts can be a problem for you ball and CV joints, etc.... i think this is a good question though, to compare the trade-offs between body and suspension lifts, though i know people do both...
which do u guys think causes the least wear and tear, and/or future problems for your truck... my guess is definitely the body lift bc its not altering much, but id like to see your opinions.. thanks

Dan
'95 ZR2 brilliant blue baby!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 09:36 AM

Re: Body vs. Suspension Lifts?

I'll do it this way...

Body Lift
Pros: Cheap! Lifts the body to accept larger tires. Makes easier to clean mud off the frame.

Cons: Only lifts the body. Does NOT provide any form of clearance by frame or suspension. Body mounts, if not properly done, can be bent up under heavy use (you can gussett the stock body mount area to fit the new lift). You must disconnect all cables and wires that attach to both the frame AND the body if your lift is higher than the cable/wire length. Possible shifter problems; might need new or adjusted linkage. Leaves interesting gap between frame and body.

Suspension Lift
Pros: Lifts the frame. "True" lift. Gives you a longer A-arm (either top or bottom). Allows you to get longer, better shocks. Chicks dig 'em! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cons: Drops the front differential to maintain the correct angles. Doesn't provide suitable ground clearance from that front diff. "Can" wear out CV's and U-joints if not properly installed and aligned. Expensive compared to body lifts! Some shops have problems aligning trucks with lifts. Might require the use of blocks in rear (I don't recommend blocks) or new springs.

That's all I can think of. I'm too busy thinking of what Santa brought me!!!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 04:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heres the thing...Do want cool big tires, or do you go off road and need extra suspencion travel... Odds are if you just want cool tires i'd go with the body lift, if you want a really cool useable truck off road then go with the suspencion lift.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HOw u Doin.......you may pay more for a suspension lift, but trust me, its well worth it. A body lift will be nothin but trouble in 5 years. My buddy cracked his chassis because of a body lift. You get absolutely no more travel than you had before, and besides poorer performance it looks tacky as hell having your whole frame visible from the outside. Hope this helps.

-Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode