Body lift installation, is it hard? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body lift installation, is it hard?

id like to get a 3" body lift for my ZR2, i was gonna go with a whole suspension system, but the body is not as dramatic and i think ill go with that... i know they arent expensive but, my friend said they are difficult to install, and even for a mechanic to do it would be really expensive.. i dont have much experience with this stuff, i know engines, but not suspension [censored]... thanks alot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Body lift installation, is it hard?

If you have basic handtools, jackstands or wood cribbing, a floor jack, and common sence you could do it. If you know someone with a lift you can do it in a few hours, I did a blazer (full size) on a lift in about 4 hours, but that was fighting with rusty bolts and such, with a newer truck like yours it should be pretty easy. It will take you probley the same amount of time with the newer truck and being onthe floor, i done them on the floor in about 6 hrs. just don;t freeze to death

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body lifts are pretty straitforward. I've never put one on, but I did un-install the 3" one on my 85. Just do yourself and everyone else a favor and PLEASE extend the fuel filler hose, and ground wires, or other wires that will be stretched, adjust the steering column, and finally the shifters(both transmission{columns suck-go B&M}or manual]and the transfer case[if you don't have the elec. shift one].The 85s would just barely go into 2Hi! Also watch the vac. actuator cable, don't stretch it too much-you may have to move it lower. Also either make some 'lift lips' (to cover gap between frame&body) or buy some to make it look awesome. Just a few little things that will make the installation VERY professional looking, and also won't lead to other problems. The cab mounts will be the most difficult ones to do, as the cab is heavy compared to the bed, and you can't just lift it up like the bed. A large board, a helper or 2 and a floor jack should help to lift one side at a time. Just take your time with it and get a couple buddies to help and it should go great!
Good Luck!
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

They are not hard, just kind of a PIA. Check my web site for a few tips. It took me 8 hours including some custom work. Make your own bumper brackets, if the lift kit includes them just throw them away 'cause they are junk. I put on a Trail Master and it was quite easy, even for a dummy like me.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 11:27 PM

Hi guys,

I heard that a 3" body lift for the ZR2 was not availlable, but just the 2". Is this right or am I completely in the bush there. I heard people saying that it involved mixing different companies lift kit or more custom work to get a 3". I did not check that yet and was wondering.

Yannick
1999 Zr2 4.3L 31x10.5 BFG M/T's
Stuck in the snow
(figuratively speaking of coarse[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah does anyone know if i would be able to run 33x12.5s on the truck if i got a 3" lift... or even the 2 inch?

Dan, '95 ZR2

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 02:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a question i was looking at puting a two inch on and then lift lips to hide it. I was looking at a Performace Accessories one with the bumper brackets and everything. My truck is a 94 the new body style has anybody ever installed one on the late model trucks like mine. And if i had to do any major things to it? Besides just lifting the body.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 03:03 PM

I have the PA 2" body lift installed on my 97 ZR2(installed with a friend in about 8 hrs) and am running 33"x12.5"x15" BFG M/T's on my stock rims. They do rub the inner fender wells and the bottom of the flares, but I haven't had any real problems other than that. my...02 cents

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

aright thanks for the help.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

From what I hear they are easy, just the little things can be a bitch, I would never go with a body lift, unless you arent going to do much wheeling, because when you start jumping, youll send them lift pucks right through the sheetmetal, sure it may be cheaper at first but after all that damage and hassle, in the long run it would have been easier and cheaper to go with a suspension lift...

89 K1500 Skyjacker 2.5" 33" SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode