Suspension Travel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Suspension Travel

I have a 98 4d 4wd Blazer LT with the touring suspension. I am really pleased with it other than the fact that when I am off road on some really nasty stuff, I bottom out occasionally. I am looking for easy solutions such as heavy duty shocks, minor lift kit, or something. Basically, I would like to make the suspension stiffer and increase the clearance. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 03:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Suspension Travel

All you could really do is get a suspenction lift kit. I would suggest a 1-2" Lift, but becareful of kits that require you to jack up your torsion bars to get the 2" in the front... That is not a good idea for long term stuff.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could safely trun up the bars a few turns. The "touring suspension" has a softer Torsion bar than a regular 4x4 Blazer. If you're in doubt ask the service mgr. at the dealer. You may be able to buy the reg. 4x4 bars and install them. What size tires does it have? The 205/70R15s? or 215? If you had the reg. 4x4 sus. you could run LT235/75R15s or maybe a 31x10.50x15. They really wussed up the 4x4 S-series in 1998 IMHO, with all these different sus. packages and elec. shift transfer case, now no reg. cab ZR-2, no longbed 4x4. Now finally a crewcab S-10 after everyone else has had one for a year. Still no V-8 option. My next new GM will be a F/S 2500HD. Just my $.02
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you only bottom out occasionally then cranking up the torsion bars 1" (4 turns of the adjusting nut) should be sufficient. Everyone has their fav. shocks, but IMO HD Monroes are great for the $$. That is the best you can do with minimal money invested in your rig. Don't worry about stiffening the rear besides shocks, it flexes really well for a stock 4x4 and will not bottom out unless you are beating it pretty hard.

Be sure to get an alignment after any adjustment of the torsion bars.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep! I got some HD yellow Monroes for my Blazer for like $80 for all 4! Couldn't live without them. I have the Expert Series on my S-10 the do pretty good. Try buying ones for a Blazer if you have an S-10, cause they're HD ones.
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode