Too High gears! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 08:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Too High gears!

Hey guys, I just finished running my RPO codes through the decoder on S10-4x4.com (Great site) and found that my 89 S-10 4x4 has 3.08 gears! What a jip! No wonder I get 20+ MPG no matter what! I also learned that I have the 1000# payload capacity. My 85 has 1500# payload. I still have to run the Blazers RPOs yet. I just put the 31x10.50s from the 85 on my 89. Now its really a dog! I think I'm gonna swap some 3.73s in pretty soon, and maybe a ZR-2 rearend to boot! Whats everyones opinion on the Zexel-Torsen diff? I can get one cheap. This truck will mainly be seeing street use once I get my 3/4 ton S-10 done. Well, Thanks for your help.
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Too High gears!

Oh, just in case your wondering, I did consider swapping the 4.11 IFS from the 85 and buying a 4.11 R&P for the 7.625. But I decided since I will be making this a street truck that something like a 3.73 ratio would be nicer with the 31x10.50s.
A.S.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If your truck is 4x4 and your thinking about changing the gearing you need to change the front diff gears if you change the rear gears!!! If not when your in 4 wheel drive the front with be fighting against the rear and end up burning something major out!

1991 S10 Blazer Tahoe 4x4. Edelbrook Headers, Holley 670cfm TBI, K/N filter charger, 30-9.5-15 tires, rebuild worked tranny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes. I know. I plan on swapping in a 3.73 front IFS from a 2.8 powered 4x4, then the rear axle from a ZR-2 possibly. Thanks.
A.S.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2000, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah,just jumped in to say,whats up 355s10!!!

1992 S10 ext cab, 2.8,5 speed,2x4,Nitrous Oxide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-284326-Ashock.jpg (20.9 KB, 5 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2000, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Will, whats up? I think these 3.73s will really make the old 4.3 scream!
Whad'ya think?
A.S.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 02:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken GM Performance really doesn't recommend anything over 3.73 anyway... but if you're running large tires and a ZR2 rear then you shouldn't have a problem...

But you're right; it'll still scream!!!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 06:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I can find a ZR-2 rear axle, then the front axle will be the one I worry about grenading! If I get one from a 2.8 powered 4x4, I'll likely rebuild it and run Mobil-1 synthetic 90W in it. The ZR-2s 8.5" 10 bolt is pretty much indestructible especially with a stock 4.3. I just thought it'd be cheaper and easier than a R&P swap in the diffs. My current setup has 173K on 'em and the front IFS is leaking. I figured if I was gonna have to take the front end apart anyway, might as well swap gears too.
Thanks.
A.S.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2000, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The front leaking on the IFS is pretty common- it's from over filling actually - ur supposed to fill it to where it's like 1/2" from the fill plug

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2000, 10:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My `96 ZR2 with 3.73's hauls pretty good (even with 32" BFG M/T's on it); posi (gov-lok?) rear. I'd easily put my brother's `99 Ram to shame with his 318 and 3.95 gears with stock tires in a balls out drag race.

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.

I like animals... <font color=blue>THEY TASTE GOOD</font color=blue>!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode