Bilstein long travel shocks..which ones - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bilstein long travel shocks..which ones

Hey guys,
Im doing a new rear end right now. Im using a modded ZR2 rear axle and need new shocks. Imlooking to spend about $125 each for the rear shock. I was looking at the 6100 series from bilstein with 14 inches of travel. Will these work or will i need a smaller shock. And do you guys have any recomendations for others that you like. Thanks

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2000, 10:11 PM

Re: Bilstein long travel shocks..which ones

It really depends on how much travel you are going to have overall in the rear end... another thing to consider is are you planning on mounting them to the frame directly (on the top) or do you plan on making some sort of bar that goes through the bed and in a custom hoop?

The other problem is going to be the lower end. You have to make sure that you mount them high enough so that you get enough ground clearance...

You might have to end up with a 10-12" stroke shock, depending on what your actual usable travel you have! And them reservoir shocks are going to cost you a little more than $125, if I'm not mistaken. They should be more in the range of $160. But I haven't priced them recently...

Of the shocks I would consider? Bilstein is one of them. The other are the Sway-A-Way Race Runner shocks. They make a 2.5" body shock with a 7/8" shaft. The body is threaded in case you want to add a coil spring to it, and they are just as easily rebuildable with nitrogen as Bilsteins are. Fox Shocks are also a good choice. I don't know much of them but I do know that all three companies have a very good shock, race proven and all!

Hope that helps you out.

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

who sells the Sway-A-Way equipment? Do they have a web site?

'89 S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 08:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks J.R.,
the 6100 series is not a reservoir series. What i going to do is a coil setup in the future(spring). Right now im going to try to do revolver shackles and stock springs. I will be doing the custom shock hoop into the bed, i just need to find a company that make them. I figure that i could get the 14 inch now and maybe tho i don't need them im sure that i will need them later. What do you think?

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did a lot of figuring when I was installing my Fox 2.0 10".. I was going to install them in the rear but the 10's where too short so they went on the front (Still need to make a hoop for them..) Stock shocks travel on the rear of the S-10 is 10" but I found my Ranchos bottoming out so there is a little more there.. How much more droop are the revolvers going to give you?? Here is what you need to do.. Install the revolvers and have no shocks.. Now you neeed to flex it to the max.. Droop one side and tuck the other.. Find where you want your mounting locations (and dont use the stock bar pins). You will need to fab your own mounting locations on top and might be able to use the stock lowers.. Mine changed with my Rancho kit.. With the body lift it will help because you will be going up in that open area.. Mesure between the two points, collapsed and extended.. Compair this to the specs on the different shocks 12" or 14".. My guess is if the shackles give 2" more droop then you will need the 14" and go 2" higher on the upper mount.. Just for price compair I got my Fox 2.0 10" with resevoir USED for $125 each..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks troy,
So you think that if i fab up some new mounts for the shock i can run these in the stock locations. What kind of mounts do i need? How are they different from the stock ones? Stronger? I have acceces to a foundry that i can cast some at real cheap. I think that the revolvers add about 4 inches more droop and im going with 2 inch add leafs. Oh and what kind of brake lines do i need i was thinking that i can do 6 inch extra on the lines and be okay. Once i get the 4 link done i think i will need straps for the rear end to keep it from going over board on the droop side of things. One other quetion do you think that the shocks will have to be mounted at an angle or should they be straight up and down? Thanks

MudderS10s
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check personal email MudderS10s..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am also about to do a revolver rear setup, I would love to know how you are going to sort yours out, I have my revolvers on the kitchen table(my wife loves that) and am waiting anxiously for this damn snow to quit falling. do you plan on or have you modified your rear drive shaft? and how are you going to do your rear brake line to let the rear droop as much as the revolvers will allow?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 06:52 PM

You can find Sway-A-Way HERE ==> Sway-A-Way Website...

And the only place I know of right off the bat that sells them as a dealer is Donahoe Racing in Anaheim, CA -- http://www.donahoeracing.com

Hope that helps!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-14-2000, 07:01 PM

MudderS10s,

My "personal opinion"? Go with reservoir shocks. They will be able to take a lot more heat in the long run. Their only downfall is that you have to have them serviced more than a "normal" Bilstein (or other monotube shock), but they still last a long time. But, if you've done your research and are satisfied, get the 6100's!

What type of terrain are you planning on hitting? Slow? Fast? If you're in the fast mode (and good for you!) the reservoirs will reduce shock fade by providing fresher oil through shock cycling. Shock fade really sucks!

I don't know of anyone who makes a "kit" for the rear hoop. All I can tell you is that if you do mount them through the bed you can just make a bent rail on each side of the bed (over the frame) and attach the two of them with a crossbar. If you have heim joints you can easily put the mounts on that crossbar! I have a friend who welded one for himself on his Toyota and it works great! Nothing too snazzy; it just works. The other option is to weld a cross bar from frame rail to frame rail. This is a lot better if you already have a body lift of 2" or more. If not it will be difficult to mount and service without pulling the bed off!

You had asked WeaZle about how to mount them -- straight up or at an angle? The best is to have them straight up and down, in a PERFECT WORLD. The reality is to have them at a slight angle will help you out, as the rear end never truly moves straight up and down. It should also help, mildy, with axle wrap if you mount them at an angle. A good fab shop should be able to make the hoops for you if you don't want to do it yourself, and if they are knowledgeable should be able to give a better idea of what you need based on how you wheel...

Coil sprung is a good way to go, and very tricky and expensive! Let us know your progress on it! I'd like to know!

Done blabbering..
J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode