Clutch/Vibration - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clutch/Vibration

Hi all I have a perculiar problem. I just replaced my clutch on my 1996 S-10 pick up. Basically all stock, 4.3, 4X4, just a few goodies from DeeZee and some K&N stuff. Anyway like said earlier I replaced my clutch, concentric cylinder, tension spring, pilot and release bearing. The clutch is a top if the line OEM. And Yes I had the flywheel machined. Now to the problem, I have a terrible vibration when taking off in first or reverse. It only happens when taking off from a dead stop... I bled the hydraulic system thoroughly, I thought. Could there be some water or air in there causing slack? I am puzzled, I did not go with an overly aggresive clutch like a dual friction CenterForce because I wanted to avoid this. Well if anyone could shed some light on this dilemma I would be very appreciative. Thanx all....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:19 PM

Re: Clutch/Vibration

Hi, don't know mutch about clutches but my father had the same problem with his car. It seems that one of the springs of the clutch assembly of his car (and yes it was brand new also) did not have the same strenght has the other ones on it so it created a vibration every time in the first gear. And almost unoticable in the others. So you might want to check the clutch assembly you received and If you can try another new one. I know that on My fathers car, It solved the problem. The clutch you purchased could have a manufacturing defect even if it is of good quality. That just a thought though. I never took off a clutch so I'm not sure which springs they were refering to. Hopes this helps a bit.

Yannick
1999 Zr2 stuck in the Snow (figuratively speaking of coarse[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the same problem w/ my 84 s-10 5spd. Is is a 2.8L but just last March I replaced my clutch I didn't notice it at first but the virbration is also terrible in first and in reverse, I try not to give it too much gas but it will stall and if i give it too much gas it will vibrate like crazy, well I just threw a bearing and it scoard the crank so I gotta new engine..I was pondering to get a new clutch even though mine is brand new...I just gotta get rid of it..

dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First check your U joints over really well, even if you can't move them when its parked does'nt mean they are not bad. It does kinda sound like you have a bad pressure plate but not sure. If you think you still have air in the line try bleeding it more. On my 83 I had to jack up the passanger side way up in the air to get all the air out of it. Good Luck

Nick
[email protected]
83' s10 extended cab 4x4 supercharged 2.8l v6
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanx all for your insight, I am going to try bleeding the system again. I sure hope that I don't have a faulty part, I REALLY do not want to have to take that tranny out again. I live in Minnesota and if anyone has been watching the weather lately it's butt cold here and my garage is only partially heated. Also, it's just a plain pain in the ass. Again thanx to all respondents.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2000, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is it possible your rear oil seal is bad? Oil could cause the clutch to be grabby or even vibrate when starting up. Is it possible that your throwout bearing was not seated properly so that it only pushes on half of your pressure plate springs?

'89 S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode