any makers of Fireblass body - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

any makers of Fireblass body

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows any manufacturers who makes fiberglass body panels for S-trucks. Has anybody tried to make some themselves. I'm asking that because some guys say that It can lower your center of gravity thus making the truck more stable. But I was wondering if the weight saving was worth the while and money spending or is it a lot of bother for nothing. I was Just wondering about that possibility

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: any makers of Fireblass body

Do you know how to lay fiberglass yourself and have the S-10 molds!?!?!? Fiberglass is a way to lighten up the vehicle if anything.. There are other was of lowering your CG.. Probably the most cost efective way would be to GASP!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] lOwEr your truck by its suspension.. First is it a 2 or 4 WD?? Why the concern with high CG? S-10's are low as is from the factory..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

yeah I know, but I was wondering if i'm lifting it, woudn't it be wise to try to keep the CG at the lowest level possible[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. That way rollover and reparation cost is reduced greatly. Keep in mind that mine is a Daily driver so I don't want to be stuck without a truck[sad] for too long. Hence the fear of rolling it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. It's a 4x4 but I'm planning for a big lift in the next season. enought maybe to put 38" or at least 35" so the CG will be going a lot higher.

Yannick
1999 Zr2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 07:47 PM

I'm of the opinion that fiberglass won't save you too much in weight. As far as lowering your CG, if you plan on lifting it later on you shouldn't need to worry about it now!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I've yet to find the glass I want (I've seen some but the other just look... BAD)...

Also, from what I've seen... if you get fiberglass fenders in the front of your truck you might need to get some sort of cross-member support for the front end. At least on my truck (1998) the front end and the left/right fenders are supporting the front end!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 07:48 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS"> You could always swap in a Dana 60 up front and a 14 bolt FF in the back, that should be more than enough to keep your center of gravity low. If that's not enough, you could always go with a nice set of 2.5 ton Rockwells. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Ok, Good to know. I'll probably put that issue into standby to see how the trucks drives once lifted. Anyway, I'm not sure yet with what axles I'm going to go with. I was trying to make myself an estimate of the total I want to put In the truck to have it the way I want[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but I'll probably end up higher that what I expected as always[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. But I guess somethings must be done before getting into others. So I'll see into that later. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. thanks again guys.

Yannick
1999 Zr2 Stuck in the snow in Canada (figuratively speaking of coarse[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode