Spare tire rack - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Spare tire rack

Hey guys I want to know if anyone has or seen changed the spare tire rack..I have an 89 blazer and have that horrbly ugly rear tire thing that swings around to the side.. Its just so ugly..I have been throwing my spare in the rear compartment.. But I was just given a large speaker box and setup that I would like to install.. I have seen the roof mounts but I don't want to be climbing up the truck in my collar and tie during a hailstorm in january...Is there anything better out there?? Or am I stuck with this hideous piece of rusty metal. that skeaks and vibrates as I go down the road..?!?!?!?
-sqeek--squeek--squeke-

Just a thought...
Luvin 4 wheel'd life
1989 S-10 Shiny chrome
1999 Honda TRX400EX oh my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Spare tire rack

I feel your pain! I took mine off my 89 Blazer about the 3rd time it dented the tailgate after I didn't get it to latch! It also was pulling the right rear quarter panel apart-even with the bracing inside. I want to get a Conn-Ferr one for the Blazer. They supposedly clamp onto your factory "luggage roof rack" and are pretty sturdy. Or, I saw in JCWhitney a spare carrier that fit into your reciever hitch, that would be pretty handy and would carry the weight of the spare better. Just my 2 cents. Oh, BTW one I saw on a Blazer was aftermarket and attached to the 2 inside tailight screws! Thats tempting fate!
A.S.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 06:41 PM

I have a 1989 Blazer and I have a rear tire carrier. It seems to be really good--it is about 1.5 inches thick and solid. I have seen other tire carriers that are really sad looking but mine seems to be real solid and I like it. I wish ya'll had better luck.

"Redneck" on the internet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2000, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey tex..Is that thing stock??? If not did you buy it?? Does it mount to the rear gate and swing open or what.. I have seen aftermarket ones that mount to the undercarriage they look real cheesy..

Just a thought...
Luvin 4 wheel'd life
1989 S-10 Shiny chrome
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2000, 10:35 AM

I cannot tell you if it is stock or aftermarket because I bought the Blazer about 8 months ago and it was on there. It mounts to the passenger side with one mount above the rear tail light and one below it. When you are looking from the side then you see two bolts in each mount and when looking from the back you see one bolt in each mount. SOLID. The actual rack is made of 1 inch solid steel or some metal--it is heavy though.
It did squeak a lot so I put that black electritions tape where the rack connects to the tail gate. That mount is a little off because someone had rear ended the previous owner and banged up the tail gate. It apparently didn't hurt the actual rack because it works fine--just a little tilt to it when it swings off. And the wheel cover is all beat up but that is just looks so I do not care to much.
I know this isn't exactly what you wanted but it is the best I have so...

"Redneck" on the internet

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2000, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like the stock one...but thanx for the info..
I decided to build a box and cover it with carpet.. my spare will fir between the wheel wells inside the truck..thats where its going..

Just a thought...
Luvin 4 wheel'd life
1989 S-10 Shiny chrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode