New info on the new inline Vortec Six from GM - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Addict

New info on the new inline Vortec Six from GM

Go to the newstand and look at the Dec 2000 issue of Trucktrend on page 26-28. They have pics and all. This is a 270 HP with 275 Tq. But as I posted before, the front Diff bolts to the side of the oil pan and the axles run through the oil pan. There will NEVER be any way to really build this new design set up. If there is it will take 10 years. It weighs only 407 lbs and has a 6300 redline. H*** they just now developed the lifts for the ZR2 like 6 years late. I think we will be totally abandoned on this deal all together. SUVs are seeming to go to dogs for family grocery getters and handling for the street for women. I'm going to try my best to keep my trucks I have now. Now, I know the Trailblazers, and Blazers are supposed to all go will this format. I bet the trucks will follow suit too. H*** even Dodge went to a IFS and threw out the Dana 44 on their Dakotas and the Toyota Tundra is IFS too.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:55 AM

Re: New info on the new inline Vortec Six from GM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">What would happen if we could get a good oil pan, narrow a Dana 44 front and replace that hokey one that bolts to the pan, and drop the whole thing 5 or 6" and run it like that instead? That would be nice. What kind of an idiot would run axles through an oil pan? What have the people at GM been smoking lately? First the Aztek, then the other ugly (concept) trucks, yikes, that's a frightening trend. I hoped the madness would end at ugly body styles, but I guess not.

I'm definitely holding on to the S truck I have at the moment. </font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Good idea, but how are you going to get another oil pan for a motor that has never been built before? This isn't the old engine revamped, but a whole new design. Go look at it and see what I mean. It is a kick butt motor with individual coils over each plug and Corvette type ignition stuff, but the truck that goes around it is very ugly and so on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:20 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS"> I was just speculating and assuming that if one had the funding to get that cu$tom width Dana 44 and all the frame/suspension modifications necessary, one could also find someone to cu$tom fab you a good oil pan. I figure if that engine is as successful as it seems that it might be, we'll see some company making good oil pans for it within a few years anyhow. I am positive it would be a popular swap into SWB Jeeps and Toys for rock crawling and they wouldn't want the stock crappy oil pan. Plenty of power, good fuel efficiency, and good torque.

Just some thoughts... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Yea, wasn't cracking on you, HA HA. Could fab it up easy even yourself. But the SUV is SOOOO Ugly I wouldn't waste my time. I just HOPE they don't go that route on the pickups. Only time will tell.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:31 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I hope a bunch of people crack their new ugly SUV (with new I6) up. That would liberate a bunch of engines and make a bunch of potential engines to swap. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I figured you wasn't... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

I wonder if GM is planning to have any of those engines for sale (minus the vehicle) like they do with their other ones... That could have potential...
</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:58 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>If you wanted to do a SFA swap, you might be best to start with a 2wd. You're going to chuck the front suspension anyway, so may as well start with a cheaper truck & use the extra cash to buy whatever T-case you want. And with no axles used up front on a 2wd, you avoid the oilpan dilemma.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 01:45 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">In the "theoretical" beastie I was thinking of, the D44 would be a part of a heavier duty IFS system, more set up towards pre running/dune playing... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I followed up on this short D-44 with A-arm for a long time and found it would cost well over $5000 to do it.. Thats with fabbing new arms and such.. Im going with a regular D-44 and throw some springs under it.. Im trying to do this for under $3000 with ARB's front and rear.. More durrable and if I break a part im not totaly SOL...

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode