TSLRADIALS VS. TSL'S - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TSLRADIALS VS. TSL\'S

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THERE IS A DIFFRENCE IN THE TSL RADIALS AND JUST PLAN TSL'S TREAD PATTERN OR IS THE ONLY DIFFRECE ONE HAS A STEEL BELT AND THE OTHER ONE DOESNT

Suck'n Gas & Haul'n Ass
~fight to keep public land open~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 04:47 PM

Re: TSLRADIALS VS. TSL\'S

Tread pattern is essentially the same, but some of the narrower radials have much smaller lugs placed closer together.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 10:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The radials ride a hell of a lot better on the road too. Bias plies are good fro off-road and some on-road, but for highway use, I pick a radial any day.
A.S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 11:35 PM
Addict

Wrong!!! I live in Louisiana 18 miles from the TSL headquarters. In certain sizes the TSL radials look like the old Gumbo Mudder pattern. Really weird for a TSL and old looking technology to some extent. In a 33x12.50 they are that way for sure. Just make sure you contact TSL about this before you get them. And buy the way the TSL SSR is recommended highly by them to be a 40,000 mileage tire. They cost more, but should be around 20,000 miles more according to them. I'm going with the Goodyear MTR for 2 reasons. A 33x12.50 is only a 10" wide tread and 32.4" tall. This will work outstanding with my 3.73 gears and 4.10's would really do me good. Also, I can buy that size from Walmart for $153 ea. If you go with the 35x12.50's they are only 34.4 tall and the same width for $167. I have talked to 3 people with them on their full sized Blazers, Wranglers, and Jeeps. They say they will never go back to a TSL. These are quieter, pull great in the mud, and of course everyone knows they are the rock crawling champs. Not bad for a tire that you can get 40-50,000 miles on it and $153 ea. I read an article where they put them on about 25 vehicles and ran them for 2 weeks on a rockcrawling area out west like in UTAH. Can't remember the name and it's well known by everyone. And I saw a pic where one was squeezed down to the rim on a sharp rock and didn't break the bead or cut the tire either. They had not 1 flat out of all trucks! A good looking tire, a street tire, mud tire, all in one for $153 ea. With the S-10's we all have great difficulty getting 33's or 35's on there, but a 32" will fit without a whole lot of hassles. Why not run a tire that is in between? Perfect for the gear ratio and not force me to go another $1000 for ring and pinions buy the time they are installed? And a TSL won't last more than a year if on the street alot.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 02:23 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Wrong!!! I live in Louisiana 18 miles from the TSL headquarters. In certain sizes the TSL radials look like the old Gumbo Mudder pattern.

<hr></blockquote>

Damn dude, sorry to ruffle your feathers like that. Yeah, the old gumbo mudder pattern which looks kinda like a Swamper with smaller lugs that are a little closer together. Sorry to describe it differently than you might.

I would really like to hear some first hand experience from somebody that has gotten 50,000 miles out of a Super Swamper SSR. Personally I find that statement to be a bit ridiculous. There is no way that a tire with as much tread void as an SSR can get that kind of mileage on a fullsize truck. The SSR was designed to have better manners on the street, especially in wet pavement traction and less noise, but I've never heard of one lasting that long. 25k miles I've heard of , but not 50k. Besides the fact that those tires have barely been out for 18 months or so now, and not too many people drive a 35" mud tire shod vehicle enough to rack up 40-50k miles in that amount of time. Just my opinion, but I don't want anybody to expect that kind of mileage out of a Swamper and be dissapointed when they don't get it. Even on a compact truck I don't think it would be possible, even with meticulous attention to tire pressure and regular rotation.

<font color=green>Evan</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 10:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

K HERE IT GOES I KNOW THAT IM ONLY GOING TO GET ABOUT 20K OUT OF SWAMPERS AND I HAVE LOOKED AT THE MTR'S AND THEY DONT IMPRESS ME ANY SURE THEY HAVE WON A FEW ROCKCRAWLING CHAMPION SHIPS WHOOPIE BUT DO YOU SEE ANY TOP TRUCK CHALLANGERS WITH MTR'S PLUS I CAN GET 33X10.50X15 TSL RADIALS FROM THE LOCAL OFF-ROAD PLACE FOR 125.86 APICE THATS TAX AND EVERY THING I HAVE ALREADY PLACED THE BUSHWACKER FLARES ON MY BLAZER AND I HAVE A 3IN. BODY LIFT AND AS SOON AS THE BDS 5 IN LIFT COMES OUT I WILL HAVE THAT AS WELL THEN I WILL GO WITH 35 TSL'S AND I HAVE ALSO SEEN TSL'S PINCH ALL THE WAY TO THE RIM AND NOT BUST THE BEED EVEN ON RIMS WITH NO BEAD LOCKS AND I HAVE SEEN TSL'S CRAWL OVER ROCKS WITH THE BEST OF THEM BUT THANKS FOR THE IN PUT

Suck'n Gas & Haul'n Ass
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2000, 12:43 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Actually, I would have to say that the narrower TSL radials (the ones that resemble Mudders) perform BETTER in mud than the fatter ones - at least in competition. The wide ones have big lugs, but SMALL gaps between the lugs & neither are particularly DEEP compared to a bias TSL. Obviously, the radial TSL will be the better pavement performer, but it will NOT compare to a bias in the rough.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2000, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OH YEAH TEX I KNOW THAT THE BIAS KICK BOOTY I WANT A SET BUT I DONT GO WHEELING ENOUGH AND PLUS MY BABY IS A EVERYDAY DRIVER BUT THE RADIALS I WOULD HAVE TO SAY ARE WAY BETTER THAN THE MTR'S BY FAR OUT IN THE ROUGH I MEAN THE TSL ARE JUST PLANE MEAN IVE SEEN THEM GO THREW IT ALL THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS I WILL POST SOME INFO ON THEM WHEN I GET THEM ON AND SOME PICS AS WELL

Suck'n Gas & Haul'n Ass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode