What axles do I use - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 03:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What axles do I use

I am looking to put a solid axle on my 85 s10 p/u and was wondering what i should use. I don't think I want to go full size but thats where I need the help. Anybody?? thanx

"I like bush"
"Trucks aren't bought they're built
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 09:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What axles do I use

I am using a Reverse cut Dana 30 from a 93 YJ. The YJ dana 30's are what Stage West uses in their kits. I am starting to document my progress (not done yet) on my website. http://home.att.net/~fullreveresal

fullreversal
Mud, Snow, Rain??
All-Terrain!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the transfer case front output shaft on all S-10's is on the driver's side. The front differential on all solid axle Chevy's was on the passenger's side; therefore an older Chevy front axle won't work in your truck.

However, phord and Dodge did use solid front axles (Dodge still does) with diffs on the driver's side. You could use one of these, but you'd have to have the axle tubes and half-shafts shortened (unless you want that wide-stance look). I actually saw an S-10 a little while back with full length full size axles in it and big (35" class) tires. It looked pretty good!

If you are going to beat up on the truck, shoot for a Dana 44 front axle. The only ones I've seen are 6 lug, though.

<font color=red>TOO MUCH POWER</font color=red> isn't enough.

I like animals... <font color=blue>THEY TASTE GOOD</font color=blue>!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 01:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The D-44 out of a grand Cherokee FS or grand wagoneer NON WIDE TRACK is what you want.. It is the proper width and the diff is on the driver side.. Only problem is the 6 lug.. I found a company that will fill and redrill both the shafts and the disks for $160.. Look on the FS Jeep list and I have a list of years and model numbers to look for.. Try and stay away from the Vac dissconect versions but there is a conversion for them too..

-Troy '<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>' McCarty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode