4.3 Valve Seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.3 Valve Seals

I will look into getting some new valve seals.....what kind would you reccomend and how much am I looking at to to have them installed??? Thanks

-Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 11:55 PM
Addict

Re: 4.3 Valve Seals

You can buy a kit and put them on yourself if you have access to an air compressor. It is like a big slotted handle. You screw in a sparkplug like adapter in the plug hole and attach an air hose to it with the valve cloed by air pressure, then you give the top of the spring a tap to loosen the keepers, not hard eneough to pop them off. Then take off a rocker arm for that cylinder, screw on the arm and compress the spring. Pop on the new seal and reinstall the spring and do them all that way till your done. Them pre-adjust the valves, fire it up and adjust the rockers and install the valve covers. Go with TRW seals, unless someone knows better ones. I have done several engines this way and you can do it in a few hours and stop and old valve cover leak in the process. Put on some 1.6 roller rockers while your at it and you have a good 25HP+ in the process!!! May as well while you have it apart. Cheaper, better, and easier than a cam change too. And more power than a cam change.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Regarding your comment on 1.6 roller rockers, do the W-code 4.3L (Vortecs) use the same rocker arms as a SB Chevy, or are they unique? I'd like do that mod to my 1993 Jimmy, but I'm not sure which arms will fit.

Jim Carbary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 11:18 PM
Addict

Okay, here's the skinny on the rockers. And if anyone can help on this, please chime in. I have a friend off this site that works for GM in Michigan. We have been checking this out for a few months. The info he has an has seen a 98 Vortec W from a ZR2 has been a solid mounted non-adjustable rocker arm with screw in studs ans an 8mm top thread and 10mm on the screw in side for the head. This was a blown engine and the valve covers were off. Now as we all know we have the style of rockers like LS1 heads. A narrow body rocker with the rail type. Like no rocker guide plates needed. Now, Crane, Comp Cams, and Crower all make these rockers, the 1.5 & 1.6 rollers. But after you go to the web or in the books like I have at home, they say they are a 3/8 stud top and 7/16 screw in on the head. So this won't work. But Crane has a stranglehold on the market by getting ARP to make the studs that can only be bought at $25 pr. Now these studs say they are for 82-89 for a press in stud conversion. An Einstien can figure out that they killed 2 birds with one stone in this matter. I have contacted all the manufacturers about this and ARP. I said why should I not be allowed these studs as a set for a V6. No one was aware that in 95 the studs were changed to screw in and a metric so all the rockers won't fit. They are looking into it at this time. ARP said if this is the case they will start making them. I haven't been able to confirm this on my 99 ZR2. If I get down to it one day, I will pull a valve cover myself and check it out. I want to run them. I talked to the people at truckperformance.com and they said they had sold the crower rockers and no one has ever had any problem or call backs. The instructions on their site say how to adjust them like a small block chevy. The only way to find out is to pull a rocker arm. Kevin said our stock rockers just bolt down tight and do not adjust at all. If anyone can help out, please clarify this because I want to get some myself. I can say that I will be going with Comp Cams lightweight rockers that are lifetime warranty and rebuildable and they are lighter than aluminum rockers.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 12:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

try some PC seals (about $2 each) used them at the machine shop alot on performance stuff- there's better seals out there too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode