oil pump screen fit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 04:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil pump screen fit

I've done a search and can't find info so here's my question. How do you get the oil pump screen tube to stay in the oil pump? is it a press fit? can i use loctite? rtv gasket sealer? I'm doing the 3.4 swap and have put in the 4x4 oil pump pick up tube but the black rtv didn't hold the tube in place. Anybody have any ideas on what to do? jeff

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
84 fiero 2m4
parked 86 2m6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oil pump screen fit

I don't remember how they come from the General, but here's what I've done in the past (and have read in various magazines). First, remove the bypass spring in the pump housing. Install the pump with the pickup tube pressed into place by hand so it can rotate in the pump housing. Place a nut that is about 1/4" tall on the pickup screen (this works if the engine is upside down on a stand - if you're doing this with the engine in the vehicle, you'll have to tape it on the screen) and then install the oil pan. The nut will act as a spacer and the pan and nut together will place the pickup screen 1/4" from the bottom of the pan. Carefully remove the pan (you don't want to knock the pickup tube or screen and have to start over), and mark the relationship between the pickup tube and pump. Remove the pump from the engine. Make sure the relationship between the pickup tube and pump is still correct, and then tack weld the pickup tube to the housing. Make sure you go all the way around the tube so the pump doesn't suck air. Reinstall the bypass spring (you removed it so the heat from the welding won't cause it to relax). Now you can do the final assembly. You might be able to press the pickup tube into place, but I would be worried about it vibrating loose (especially with any off-roading) with disastrous results. I believe Summit sells pumps with the pickup tube welded in for use with stock oil pans, but I don't know if they carry one for your application.

Jim Carbary

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply Jim. Yes it's on a stand so it's still easily accessable. My welding ability hasn't been tested lately so could I solder it in? I know I can do that, or does that only work with copper?
jeff

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
84 fiero 2m4
parked 86 2m6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can solder iron/steel, but I wouldn't recommend it for attaching the pickup tube to the pump housing. Solder melts at a much lower temperature than iron/steel, so all it does is fill in the gap between the two and then harden. Think of it as a metal "glue" that is water and air-tight. However, it is still prone to cracking when there is a lot of vibration. Welding (done correctly) melts the parent metal (pickup tube and housing) as well as any filler rod so when it solidifies, all three components are metallargically (I think I spelled it right) as one. I would call a local engine rebuilding shop and ask if they could do it or recommend a place. I can't imagine the cost being very high.

Jim Carbary

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thats what i'll do thanks again. jeff

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
84 fiero 2m4
parked 86 2m6
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 07:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MIG welders , in the right hands , are a wonderful thing. Thanks for your help Jim it cost me a hot chocolate and a coffee to have it done. The pan is now on and the next step is to transfer the accessories to the 3.4. I'm moving slow because i'm working outside and my time to do stuff is limited.
jeff

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
84 fiero 2m4
parked 86 2m6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode