Dealing with road crap... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 08:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dealing with road crap...

Hey fellas,

I live in Sunny Canada [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]...Ottawa, to be more precise. It's been snowing here for the past week or so, which reminded me how much crap builds up on the lift-gate as the slush and dirt gets sucked in by the wake of my truck...and freezes into an inch-thick crap-sicle.

I've been trying to find a wind deflector, but most suppliers tell me that they only make them for the mini-van type gates, not the tail-gate type like mine.

I have a 96 Blazer 4-door. Has anyone found a deflector that will work on my truck?

Help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 11:55 AM

Re: Dealing with road crap...

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Well here's my thoughts for whatever they're worth (usually not a whole lot)...

You could do a combination of two things. You can go to the local lawn and garden store, and pick yourself up a little bit of lawn edging (plastic) and as wide as possible. You could then get some high speed tape and open the gate, slip the tape inside the gate (maybe?) and let the edging sit there. That might help break up the airflow enough to keep the crap from building up on there. However, what I think you would be better off doing would be to make something similar to an air dam on the front of the truck but for the back. That (from what I can determine) would cause the air from under the truck to have to move faster, lowering it's pressure and keeping the air with all that crud in it down and off your window, at least that's what I'd expect that to do. Any other thoughts? I'm not far enough along in my engineering classes to put that into the computer and run some tests yet though so it's hard to say... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Might be worth it... Any other thoughts guys (or gals)?</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know they have them for full-size GMs, but I haven't seen them for the S-series. All you need to do is find a roof mounted rear wing thats run parallel to the rear window. They also make some that start off parralel to the roof, and have a 45-70 degree bend (down) to keep the air moving accross the surface of the tailgate. You could also get one fab'd for ya.

.undertow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 89 blazer 2-dr with a rear wing.. Its from the factory its made of aluminum and it is actually designed to keep the emission gases from entering the truck through the rear..that sounds dirty..but it seems to work quite..The rear of the truck still gets completely filty but no accumulation of crap-sicles...

Rear-End...crap-sicle...coincidence??

Just a thought...
Luvin 4 wheel'd life
1989 S-10 Shiny chrome
1999 Honda TRX400EX oh my
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode