smokey startup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

smokey startup

Hey, I gots a 91 blazer 4x4 4.3L TBI> Every morning, whenever I start it up for the first time of the day, thick white/grey smoke comes out of the exhaust. Living in California, the land of emissions laws, I fear my next smog test. What can I do to clean that up?

-Steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 01:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: smokey startup

Greetings,
From what I have read in various Chevy news groups, the smokey startup is pretty common for the 4.3's. A nice puff of smoke from a cold start, then fine after that... I've heard worn valve guides cited as a possbile reason. Most people have said just continue your regular maintenance, keep up with regular oil changes, and check the oil between changes so it doesn't get too low, and pretty much don't worry about it. Of course, I'm not a mechanic, so coming from me, this is all hearsay. Maybe one of the guru's around here will have a different view.
What I can tell you for sure is my '92 4.3L CPI has been doing the same thing for almost two years now. I recently (two weeks ago) had my emissions tested, and passed, no problem. Although our emissions laws probably aren't as strict here in Phoenix, AZ, I was well below half the legal limit for the three pollutants they check.

Vigo-

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I puff of smoke in the morning is normal for a higher milage engine. The valve seals are usually the first thing to wear in an engine. When you shut off the engine there is some oil sitting in the heads, the worn valve seals lets a little oil seep into the cylinders causing it to smoke when started up after sitting for several hours.

If it only smokes for a few seconds and the oil consumption hasen't risen drastically, there is nothing to worry about.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 12:25 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">I'm not sure if you're aware of this tip, but make sure you get your engine warmed up very good before any smog test. If you have to wait in a line, don't shut it down, you want it hot when they do their tests or it'll be less efficient, at least that's what I've heard helps. I've never had to get smogged so I have no personal experience with that but it makes sense considering that (the computer or choke) makes it run rich when you start it up and the engine is cold until it warms up. That should also help make the seals expand and not leak nearly as much (and burn off the oil better).

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 02:53 PM
BlazAir

Same problem with my '93. Follow the advice given above and you should have no problem passing SMOG. Mine passed.

93 S-10 4DR Blazer 4X4.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The valves seals on gm's SUCK!!! They use plastic umbrella seals form the factory that wear out very fast. Fel-pro makes a nice set of valves seal for the 4.3 they include very nice rubber umbrella seals and rubber o-rings also. Just fixed mine about a few months ago.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2000, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I haven't done a search so I don't know if this question has been addressed but does anybody know if there is interchangeability for the valve seals for 2.8,4.3 and sbc. I think the rocker nuts for the studs are the same for 2.8 and 4.3. If the valve seals are the same it may be cheaper to buy them for the sbc even if you have extra( if they fit). jeff

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 03:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4.3 and SBC do use the same valve seals, rockers and nuts.

1991 S10 Blazer Tahoe 4x4. Edelbrook Headers, Holley 670cfm TBI, K/N filter charger, 30-9.5-15 tires, rebuild worked tranny
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 90 GMC Jimmy that had the same problem. I live in the Cincinnati area. We have to pass the same tests as California dose. Mine passed with no problem. It was about half the limit value for that vehicle. Since then I replaced the valve seals and it hasn't let out a bit of smoke since.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2000, 12:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've used the 4.3 rocker arm nuts on a 2.8.
jeff.

jeff
86 4x4 2.8/3.4 jimmy
84 fiero 2m4
parked 86 2m6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode