do these things really help mileage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 06:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

do these things really help mileage?

i get around 17 mpg in my 2000 2wd s10 (v6). i realize that this is great compared to some of yalls mileage (especially those of you with big treads), but i am only 17 and dont have a job, so gas gets quite expensive.

in jc whitney i see a Tornado Engine Performance Booster that claims to boost mpg by 24% and add 20 hp. apparently it fits into the air intake hose and "creates a mini whirl-wind of air to ensure the best fuel atomization possible." (this is in the jc whitney catalog good through jan. 31, 2000 on page s-6).

then i see another item directly under the tornado that is a magnetic fuel saver called the Fuel Boss that claims to increase mpg by 11.6%. would this thing really do something or is it all just a load of crap?

also i know that some of you guys have put K&N Filter Chargers on your rigs, these seem to be a bit expensive. the ad in jc whitney says that it will add 26.3 hp, 23 ft/lbs torque and help with mpg. i would like to hear if you guys got these gains or not.

my last question concerns exhaust. i know that there are some great exhaust systems for s-10's. ive seen (heard) some nice roars coming from some around town. but how much does a new exhaust system help with performance?

thanks ahead for any replies. im new to this stuff and can use all the help i can get.

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 07:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: do these things really help mileage?

Ok here's what i know/ have heard about the things you asked about
Tornado Engine boost that swirls air: Vortech already does this, any more turbulance in the air will actually lower MPG.

Magnetic Fuel thing: Pure Crap

K&N Filtercharger: Roughly 11 HP not sure on mpg, I'll tell ya after x-mas when i get mine installed

Exhaust system: Give you some power, even more when paired with new intake (Filtercharger) Dont buy a premade kit, get a local shop to bend you a custom one.

Ryan

-I shoulda been a cowboy-
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 07:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you don`t have a job how you gonna buy these gas saving things?Time to ride the bus a while.Just kiddin haha

1991 blazer 4 dr 4.3 headers,flowmaster,k&n,31x10.5x15 bfg allterrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok let me get this straight you are 17 have no job, no money for gas and you have a 2000 S-10 with the 4.3. Um where did you get the money for the truck please, let me know I want a ZR2.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2000, 09:16 PM
Addict

Get a job and get the K&N. Everything else is just a waste for you right now. No exhaust until it's all finished. But ASP Power pulleys are worth the money. $90 + a new shorter belt for $17. If you get them make sure you say I want the alternator pulley that is for street use so it will charge in traffic.

Tom "Deep Sea Diver" Brantley
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The fuel magnet is not crap - it just doesn't do much for MPG. Its used to minize emmisions more than anything. Let the gas burn better, causing less deposits, which makes your engine run better.

The EPA doesn't go endorsing "pure crap" - they just endorse it for environmental reasons more than performance. I have one. Plus they've endorsed similar products from other companies using the same molecular theories. For $20, how can you go wrong?

Don't get screwed. Theres another company out there selling the "FuelMiser" - $100 for the 'new' one they have - thats just foolish. But the "FuelMaster" and "FuelBoss" are both valid (and cheep) ones.

.undertow.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 12:38 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Well the EPA does endorse pure crap. They endorsed MTBE (pollutes water tables), for just one example. Many things currently done by the EPA are not done based on sound scientific principles, they are based on junk science. Perhaps the director of the EPA owns stock in those magnetic fuel things. I have never seen any scientific tests showing magnets to be any good at all.

If you can provide some research about them and what they do to the emissions (the whole research preferrably) then I may believe it, however, there is no real evidence (that I have been able to dig up, and I'm usually really good at digging up evidence/research if it exists).

In fact, why couldn't someone just get some magnets of their own and do that? A few dollars rather than $20 is quite an improvement. And one more reason that it's unlikely that the magnet things do anything for mileage or improving emissions: Automakers would be required to use them if they worked, but they aren't.

Thanks.
</font>

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

s10guy-

ha, my dad bought the truck for me. gas is my responsibility though. a zr2 would be very nice, but unfortunatly i am stuck with the 2wd-er. oh well

thanks for the input

Jonathan Rogers
[email protected]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should get a job and save your money for college and then in four years answer our questions..I just installed the K+N on my 89 blazer all It is just a base plate air element and a lid.. 360 degrees of intake it the stock box out..well in my truck.. I also invested in a power chip the whole thing cost me 200 bucks and its a night and day difference...the K&n isn't street legal for all vehicles though.. I don't need to worry about emissions here..

Just a thought...
Luvin 4 wheel'd life
1989 S-10 Shiny chrome
1999 Honda TRX400EX oh my
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2000, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, I'll track down the white papers I was basing my statements on, and post 'em on my lunch brake.

And yes, you can go out and get 1000-4000 guass magnets (1000 gauss magnets are used in refridgerator doors), and attach them to the inbound fuel line for the same results. AGain, the closer to the delivery point, the better.

The fact that you can't find information, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. In fact, in my searching, I only found one skeptical perspective on water and fossil fuel magnetic treatment theories.

In the meantime, if you can give me references detailing why this 'crap' doesn't work, I would be most interested. You see, if neither of us can back our opinions, then the issue is moot, and jrogers is on his own!

.undertow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode