Vibration - 40 to 55 mph - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-2000, 09:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vibration - 40 to 55 mph

I have a 90 GMC Jimmy that I have been fixing up. It has 150,000 miles on it. I canít seem to find a vibration in it. It sounds like a wheel bearing but I have replaced them all. I have checked all the bearings in the front dif. I have checked about everything. It could be a front CV joint. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem and if they were ever able to fix it. It only happens at 40 to 55 mph. If I put it in 4WD it stops. Has me confused.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Vibration - 40 to 55 mph

hey wait a minute! You put your truck into four wheel drive at 50! Thats just wrong to start with. The truck is not made to go over 40 in 4 and i think thats pushing it. Now for the vibration did you check the tires for flat spots or anything like that other that have your driveshaft checked for a good balance and check your u-joints for play. Other than that i don't know any more spots to look. Hope that helps.

MudderS10s
91 S-10 4.3L, 5 speed, 3 inch bodylift, 32" super swapper TSLs, 2 inch rear shackle lift
73 CJ-5 mods- way too many to list
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 10:57 AM

Are you sure about that over 40 thing for the 4wd? I've used mine over 40 a few times and had no trouble at all, although I was going slowly when I initially engaged it those times though. I know in low range you can't go over 35, but I had never heard of a limit in 4wd high... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My November article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've never heard of that. Can't go over 40 mph in 4 wheel drive. If that's the case then these "4 wheel drive all the time" SUV's out there can't go over 40 mph either?? I've seen SUV's that are standard all wheel drive or 4 wheel all the time. I drive over 40 mph in 4 wheel drive for over 150 miles in the winter driving on snow and never had a problem!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

50 mph? I once had a little geo tracker (stock) that would run fine at 65mph for hours but the transfer case whined too much at 70mph..

the truck still is going strong today.

83 S-10 2.8l, 4x4,ext cab,soon to be 2" lifted, stock, attacked by rust mites!!
88 Artic Cat, 40mm carbs,studded track.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Its a simple problem with a simple solution, your tires need to be ballanced, I don't know why it stops in 4x mode, and there is certanly no limit on speed in 4xmode (not including the flashing lights in the rear-view). But it is definaltally wheel ballance, check for loose or missing wheel weights, also, if you locked the tires up really good, you might throw the ballance off, also check for bubbling of your plys(in the tread) this is a long shot, but it could happen.

Tim

88 blazer
Like A Rock
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wouldn't say that it HAS to be the tire balance. I have had a vibration in my drivetrain for a while. I had the tires balanced several times without a fix. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] It is not my daily driver and it is so rusted now that it will not even be my weekend driver until I get the body replaced, so I have just been living with it. For my problem, I am suspecting the driveshaft may be bent, since I have a big dent in the gas tank.

As a side note:

I also made the mistake of forgeting to shift out of 4 HI the last time I left our land up north and drove for 9 miles on dry pavement @ 60-70 MPH. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] To my surprise I shifted out of 4HI and drove the rest of the way home (70+ miles) on the freeway without a problem! I thought that would speed up my SFA project for sure.

My suggestion is check the driveshaft.

Good luck

He who toots his own horn is talking out of his A$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode